Thread: New Golf V Owner

Users Country Flag

New Golf V Owner

Hi, new to the brand here. I like driving cars in OEM condition (unusual here, I know...) and was wondering if anyone has a guide as to the standard wheel styles for Golf V models... my build codes seem to state that my 2.0 FSI Comfortline was built with 15s but it has 16s... there are a few wheel styles about... I’d like to refit the OEM build wheels... there are a few suspected mods to my modest motor but I’ll start with wheels...

Users Country Flag
    My FSI Pacific has factory 16" wheels but lower trims like the Comfortline should've had factory 15s.

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge
    Last edited by sebas_thefish; 20-10-2020 at 03:07 PM.
    .:Mk5 R32

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I like those 5 spoke wheels. After a bit of research I've determined that I have VW original 16" Magny Cours wheels - which I suppose could of been a dealer add on when new from the dealer - I guess I'll never know unless I track down the dealer (which I have details of) - anyone else have Magny Cours wheels as a dealer delivery option at purchase even though the Golf left factory with the original 15" wheels?

New Golf V Owner-img_0598-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by davidorama View Post
    I like those 5 spoke wheels. After a bit of research I've determined that I have VW original 16" Magny Cours wheels - which I suppose could of been a dealer add on when new from the dealer - I guess I'll never know unless I track down the dealer (which I have details of) - anyone else have Magny Cours wheels as a dealer delivery option at purchase even though the Golf left factory with the original 15" wheels?

New Golf V Owner-img_0598-jpg
    They were the factory wheels on the Mk5 Sportline model too, weird that there's a set on your Comfortline. The factory Comfortline wheels look almost identical to those however.

The plot thickens... my original order slip in the car manual says the car is a Comfortline ao perhaps the original owner did a deal for a wheel upgrade or someone upgraded the wheels (along with the obligatory Chinese Car Play touch screen head unit - which I find useful) after the event?

It's odd because my owners manual also has a Golf GTI booklet which I would of thought was odd in a Comfortline delivery.

I'm not even sure (although almost certain) that the car is a pre-DSG Comfortline model (although the drive does feel very direct - quite impressed) but it refuses to roll backwards in D so..?
    2005 VW Golf 5 2.0 FSI Comfortline Sports Automatic

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by davidorama View Post
    The plot thickens... my original order slip in the car manual says the car is a Comfortline ao perhaps the original owner did a deal for a wheel upgrade or someone upgraded the wheels (along with the obligatory Chinese Car Play touch screen head unit - which I find useful) after the event?

It's odd because my owners manual also has a Golf GTI booklet which I would of thought was odd in a Comfortline delivery.

I'm not even sure (although almost certain) that the car is a pre-DSG Comfortline model (although the drive does feel very direct - quite impressed) but it refuses to roll backwards in D so..?
    What colour are the body strips on your doors and front bumper? Are they body coloured or just black? Only the diesel Mk5 Golf non performance models came with a DSG, the others had manuals or a 6 speed normal automatic.

Black door handles and bump strips

Red Book says that some FSI models came with dual clutch in 2005, which surprised me too and maybe an error.

Anyway, my car is nice, tip tonic is worlds ahead of any other auto I’ve driven, and compares well with the latest i30 dual clutch setup that I’ve driven widely as a hire car.

Users Country Flag
    Mm definitely a Comfortline model then, seems your wheels were swapped at some point.

Never had an issue with my 6 speed auto, it still performs better than some newer automatics and not to mention vastly better than a CVT.

CVTs are horrible in all forms other than the Audi Multitronic, which itself had problems.

The Tiptronic is brilliant as far as I'm concerned, and it's probably a good thing that VW is dropping the DSG for the lower end Golfs in the Mark 8. I still regret not buying the Pacific Blue 2.0 FSI 6 speed manual for sale a few weeks before I picked up my Silver Tiptronic. I was simply too slow, and perhaps too lazy to think of driving a manual about town again.