Support VWWC

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My son lost the key to the Golf....

Man,

This sucks, I bought my VW MKIV second hand and my keys were STOLEN !!! Bastards ! But I knew when I got the car that I should get another key but I never took the plunge.... now I am paying for that mistake ! I am without a car for 10 days !

Thats fricken crazy ! Go to Holden or Ford and get a new key within the hour for like 100 $, it's outrageous !

Quote Originally Posted by qsilverza View Post
    Man,

This sucks, I bought my VW MKIV second hand and my keys were STOLEN !!! Bastards ! But I knew when I got the car that I should get another key but I never took the plunge.... now I am paying for that mistake ! I am without a car for 10 days !

Thats fricken crazy ! Go to Holden or Ford and get a new key within the hour for like 100 $, it's outrageous !
    New Mondeo key $250. I told my friend to check on this when she bought the mondeo. Not as exy as a VAG key, but not cheap either.
    Lose your keys on a Toyota Rav4 and they can't even get you a new key, as they have to copy the existing keys. If you don't have one to copy they have to relace the ECU. A friend was quoted $3000 for that excercise.

Most of the current generation cars with imobiliser chips are expensive to replace the keys.
    07 Golf GTI 3 door, Tornado red, 6 speed Manual
    Red may be the devils colour, but this car is pure heaven

FYI - two of the franchised key cutting shops in the local mall (southland) claim to have the VW key replacement capability by August 08....not sure how long you can run on 1 set or how much faith you put in word-of-mouth...yet this may be a small ray of sunshine up your tailpipe to brighten the otherwise mur-key depths of dealer hell
    Last edited by lunar1; 18-04-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: erroneous spelling errors
    HorsePower is what you pay for, Torque is what you Use -- R.W Erickson

Quote Originally Posted by lunar1 View Post
    FYI - two of the franchised key cutting shops in the local mall (southland) claim to have the VW key replacement capability by August 08....not sure how long you can run on 1 set or how much faith you put in word-of-mouth...yet this may be a small ray of sunshine up your tailpipe to brighten the otherwise mur-key depths of dealer hell
    What are the places???

Quote Originally Posted by lunar1 View Post
    FYI - two of the franchised key cutting shops in the local mall (southland) claim to have the VW key replacement capability by August 08....not sure how long you can run on 1 set or how much faith you put in word-of-mouth...
    AFAIK most "good" locksmiths can already cut a late model VW key, but
    not many can supply the correct full remote key,
    very, very few can supply the correct immobiliser chip (aka transponder or RFID), and
    none can program late model VW ECU's to recognise new keys (dealer only job).

Just remember to take ALL your keys in if you are getting a new key programmed, otherwise the keys you left at home will only start the engine, but it will cut out within 2-3 secs and display an immobilser error msg.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

When I bought my '08 MKV GTI from it's 1st owner he had 'mislaid' the spare key in a house move. His bad because he said he would replace it, $543 lighter in the pocket for saying so This was only a few months ago..

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456