Thread: Multiple Brake Rotor size online, unsure which one to get for brake job

Multiple Brake Rotor size online, unsure which one to get for brake job

Hi everyone!

We recently purchased a 2008 Golf V 2.0L FSI as a 2nd car for and I'm super glad I found an aussie community for VW cars (My first car was a Golf Mk3)

The car has been serviced really well by the previous owner, rear brake discs/pads have been replaced and I purchased the car before he could do the front brakes so I'm going to do the brake job myself.

Yesterday, in preparation for the brake job I lifted the car, took off the wheel and inspected the brake parts just to make sure I had all the tools needed (7mm bit for the caliper bolts, 22m socket for the calipper carier bolts and T30 to remove the screw that hold the disc)

However, i totally forgot to measure the discs and I was hoping you could tell me what's the disc size I need.

Now the issue I'm facing is that I don't know which brake rotors to buy. Online on sparebox, or runautoparts when I enter my vehicle details, they are showing different sizes which is not helping.

For example:

- Bosch Front Brake Disc Rotors 288mm BD1023
    Bosch Front Brake Discs 288mm BD1023 | Run Auto Parts

- Front Brake Discs 280mm 54207PRO
    Front Brake Discs 280mm 54207PRO Hella Pagid 8DD 355 109-561_2pcs for Audi VW Skoda

How is that so that they are selling 2 sizes for my car model? Is their registry incorrect or can you actually fit either 280 and 288mm on my car?

Another issue is that for either part, none of the OE number matches my car.

For example the Bosh product descriptions list the below OE compatibility numbers

VW OE NUMBERS 1K0615301K, 1K0615301T, 5C0615301A, 5C0615301D, 5Q0615301H, L1KD615301

And mine is 1KZ.

Is the OE number important to find the right part that fit my vehicle?

My engine number is BVY if that helps.

Thank you in advance for any insights you may have.

Cheers,

Probably not the most helpful answer but measuring them yourself would give you the answer Multiple Brake Rotor size online, unsure which one to get for brake job

I was in a similar situation to you when I had to buy rotors for my GTI, sparesbox and the like list multiple sizes for the same car.

If you are lucky you might spot the part number on your current rotors (I know dba etch the part along the rotor edge)

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Sometime car manufacturers change brake suppliers half way through production, so this is likely the reason why some websites list a 280mm disk and other list a 288mm version. You are probably going to have to measure your existing ones.

I know with the Mk6 Golf GTI for example, earlier models (2009-10) had a larger rear disk and different caliper to the later models (2010-12). VW changed supplier and therefore the parts changed. This caused some confusion for me as I had a 2010 model with the larger brakes but was not aware of it at the time.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by adey88 View Post
    Probably not the most helpful answer but measuring them yourself would give you the answer Multiple Brake Rotor size online, unsure which one to get for brake job

I was in a similar situation to you when I had to buy rotors for my GTI, sparesbox and the like list multiple sizes for the same car.

If you are lucky you might spot the part number on your current rotors (I know dba etch the part along the rotor edge)

Thanks for your reply man.
    Yeah after posting, I figured I should just measure it myself to be sure but wait, I realised it wasn't that easy to accurately measure the disks because of the center parts that sticks out and couldn't run my tape measure from the top to bottom without slighting bending the tape. I could get an approximate measure but since 280 and 288mm is so close I couldn't for sure tell what was the size of the discs if you see what I mean.
    Last time I saw a video on Youtube with a guy giving a trick to accurately measure discs using a piece of paper. I'm trying to find that video and I'll post it if I find it, could help people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Sometime car manufacturers change brake suppliers half way through production, so this is likely the reason why some websites list a 280mm disk and other list a 288mm version. You are probably going to have to measure your existing ones.

I know with the Mk6 Golf GTI for example, earlier models (2009-10) had a larger rear disk and different caliper to the later models (2010-12). VW changed supplier and therefore the parts changed. This caused some confusion for me as I had a 2010 model with the larger brakes but was not aware of it at the time.
    Oh that super interesting, thanks for the insight, I didn't know and yeah confirm I should just measure it myself.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help
    Last edited by GolfVFSI; 20-03-2022 at 06:51 PM.

No worries, as mentioned some manufacturers etch the part number on the edge of the disc (dba I know do this) if you look very carefully
    Multiple Brake Rotor size online, unsure which one to get for brake job-disc-brake-rotors-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by adey88 View Post
    No worries, as mentioned some manufacturers etch the part number on the edge of the disc (dba I know do this) if you look very carefully
    Multiple Brake Rotor size online, unsure which one to get for brake job-disc-brake-rotors-jpg

Thanks for the illustration, that helps a lot. I'll try to find the part number when I take them out just out of curiosity.

So today I managed to get a precise measurement of the rotors using a piece of paper (see the trick here EASY method of MEASURING brake rotors while still on the car - YouTube)

I confirmed it was 288mm so now I can order them and finally get the job done.

Thanks for the help everyone