Support VWWC

Thread: Mk6 GTI steering wheel fitted to MK5 - is it Takata?

Mk6 GTI steering wheel fitted to MK5 - is it Takata?

I like many others installed a MK6 GTI steering wheel in my MK5.

Does anyone know if VW used takata airbags in these steering wheels? If so, how could I find out if the airbag is affected?
    GTI | MY08 | Blue Graphite | DSG | Leather | Bi-Xenon | RNS510 |

Users Country Flag
    Yes, I believe all the Mk6 Golfs were affected. (Mine Cabriolet way too as well as the Multivan). How you go about getting it replace under the reall is another question entirely.

From what I understand it's only the ignitor that is replaced so you could ask them what they would charge to replace it for you. I would be interested to see if they would even give a cost...
    It's coded against each vehicles VIN, so computer says you don't exist.

I would ring around every dealer within driving distance until I got one they either did it under the recall or offerred to do it for a reasonable cost.

Let us know how you go.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Yes, I believe all the Mk6 Golfs were affected. (Mine Cabriolet way too as well as the Multivan). How you go about getting it replace under the reall is another question entirely.

From what I understand it's only the ignitor that is replaced so you could ask them what they would charge to replace it for you. I would be interested to see if they would even give a cost...
    It's coded against each vehicles VIN, so computer says you don't exist.

I would ring around every dealer within driving distance until I got one they either did it under the recall or offerred to do it for a reasonable cost.

Let us know how you go.
    Surely it’s should be covered by the recall? It’s still a faulty product and was made by VW.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    Surely it’s should be covered by the recall? It’s still a faulty product and was made by VW.
    Unless you got VW to install the MK6 wheel on your MK5, they are not obliged to support it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdManFJ View Post
    Unless you got VW to install the MK6 wheel on your MK5, they are not obliged to support it.
    Hmm, I don’t know about that. He can always go by the part number.

Users Country Flag

Mk6 GTI steering wheel fitted to MK5 - is it Takata?

Quote Originally Posted by BirdManFJ View Post
    Why? They made it and supplied it into the parts market. Doesn’t matter if they installed it or not, it can still kill you. It's not a warranty claim, but a safety recall.
    Last edited by arcadelt; 09-10-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD