Thread: Mk6 DSG into a mk5

Users Country Flag

Mk6 DSG into a mk5

HI guys, its been a while, I hope someone can answer this question. I have a MK5 R32 with a dsg DQ250. I want to replace it and with a MK6 R dsg DQ250. I believe they have the same transfer case etc. Is this possible and if so is it a strainght swop or is it complicated?
    I believe others opt for the DQ500nTiguan for more torque, is there more work on this option?
    I appreciate the help.

Users Country Flag
    Not really that straight forward. VR6 bell housing is different to inline 4/5.
    Needs custom bell housing and flywheel.
    You'll need to modify the TCU software on the new gearbox also as it won't be setup properly for the engine, and may also possibly need some CAN messages modified.
    DQ500 is a bigger job again requires starter motor, drive shafts, custom modified bell housing, flywheel, shift adapter, require TCU plug and of course custom TCU software.
    Best advice is talk to a shop thats familiar with these swaps as there are lots of potential pitfalls.

Might be better to rebuild your current gearbox, maybe with a mechatronics upgrade to a newer revision - what is the actual issue?
    Last edited by kamold; 03-10-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the advice. My Story is:
    So I have a 2007 R32 and I notice the clicking noise in the transmission when I am in auto from 3rd gear to 2nd and then 2nd to 1st gear. I checked a guy on youtube that repairs the megatronics: and he showed that if you replace the N215 and N216 solenoids, that it will fix the issue. Well ..... I bought them off ebay (I know I know) because there was no one else sellig them locally. But it was worse: the car was hesitating at low speeds and in reverse especially. So i fitted the originall ones back and I only have the clicking noises as the problem. So I suspect the gearbox is the issue??? I thought that if I can get a later model DQ250 (2009 onwards) that they would have fixed that issue by then? I have about 123000km.
    I can only immagine the owner before me did not look after the car and launched it many times. I know this because I changed all mounts, control arm bushes etc. your advise is appreciated. looking forward to your response.

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Not really that straight forward. VR6 bell housing is different to inline 4/5.
    Needs custom bell housing and flywheel.
    You'll need to modify the TCU software on the new gearbox also as it won't be setup properly for the engine, and may also possibly need some CAN messages modified.
    DQ500 is a bigger job again requires starter motor, drive shafts, custom modified bell housing, flywheel, shift adapter, require TCU plug and of course custom TCU software.
    Best advice is talk to a shop thats familiar with these swaps as there are lots of potential pitfalls.

Might be better to rebuild your current gearbox, maybe with a mechatronics upgrade to a newer revision - what is the actual issue?

Users Country Flag
    The mechatronics on those older boxes are more prone to issues than the later revision which were based on a new microcontroller (Infineon rather than the older Motorola).
    You can swap in a mecha from any later PQ platform gearbox however it then needs to be flashed with the correct software so that the gear ratios etc match. This requires ODIS Engineering.
    Measuring block 41 (or 42, can't remember) in the TCU contains the flash filename of your current gearbox which is good for reference.

K1 and K2 main clutch control solenoids are only part of the equation. You can buy full mecha rebuild kits that contain all the solenoids and gaskets etc. However for an earlier mecha like the one you have I'd be more inclined to seek out a newer rev as a starting point (rev AL or above).

Also you'll want to consider replacing the clutches (bigger job as it's gearbox out). And while gearbox is out you might as well do the timing chains and guides as you'll have easy access then.

First step though if you already have fresh fluid and new filter would be run basic settings per the procedure using VCDS or ODIS etc and see if that makes any difference.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

1. How can I find out if I have the old version or new microcontroller Infineon? Can I see this on VCDS
    What year onwards do I get the Infineon microcontroller?
    2. Can I use my megatronics and buy a new rebuilt kit that will convert it to a newer model or must i buy a later model megatronics.
    3. Do you know where I can buy the rebuild kit for the megatronics (good quality)
    4. I was planning to do the chain and guides once the gearbox is out.
    5. When I replaced the solenoids back to the original I did a VCDS basic reset and the clinking is still there.

Users Country Flag
    1. Yes you can tell what mechatronics you have from VCDS (the part number). Revision AL and later are the newer design.
    2. You can rebuild your current mecha in terms of solenoids, gaskets and o-rings but the controller is embedded in the valvebody. You can't upgrade it.
    3. Rebuild kits can't vouch for any in particular
    4. Good idea
    5. Can you elaborate on the 'clicking'. Video maybe? Any fault codes logged?

1. Would you know where exactly or will it come up when I go into the transmission module
    2 So best get a new megatronics, what year model onwards has the new AL megatronics incase I source it 2nd hand?
    5. I tried recording it when I 1st heard it but cannot be picked up on the phone.
    no fault codes. So in Auto: when I approach an intersection or traffic light (dropping speed) from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st you hear a click in the transmission. You have to have the tadio off and quite in the car to hear it. sometimes its louder than other times depending on temperiture i think. I replaced driveshafts, control arm bushes, new bolts and then I was told its the transmission. I then checked on youtube and its a common trate. I just think my one is worse than usual.
    6.To reverse up my driveway with a slight hill I have to excellerate alot just to move a little. like its slipping or hardly engaging

I checked on vcds and I found the VAG number, Component number , soft coding, and Shop Number
    I also found the flas tool code, dateof flash , identification, Revision Serial number etc. none have the code AL in it.
    There is a hardware no ends in AE : does that mean anything?
    Last edited by Eman; 03-10-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Users Country Flag
    1. Do an autoscan. Post the auto trans info
    2. AL mecha appear from late 2009 depending on the car.
    5. If it's just a slight noise probably wouldn't worry too much especially if it's under specific conditions
    6. This is the torture test for DSG. Could be clutches near wear limit or mecha newer ones handle this condition better.

Without posting any specifics it sounds like you likely have an AE mechatronics. This is the older design.

1.I think i have the CLB magatronics, is that old.
    2.do I ask for the AL megatronics through vw to suit my model car?
    3. Is there anywhere else that I can N purchase j as a megatronics?
    Thanks

Users Country Flag

The part number is printed on the white part of the mecha if you have one out of the trans.
    No if you ask VW they will give you the supersession part number based on your VIN. It will likely be an AT revision.
    You can try wreckers but most will only want to sell you a trans complete.