Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk5 won't start and stuck in P

Mk5 won't start and stuck in P

Hi mates!

I am new in this forum and I will appreciate any help to fix my car.

I do own a golf mk5 sport GT 2007 DSG. The car was working and running smoothly but a few days ago when I was about to start the car and I turned the key to 3/4, heard some noises coming from the dash board like kind of relays closing and opening and then the radio went off. When I try to start the car to 4/4 there was not cracking at all. The dashboard light started to dim until disappeared and finally the car died completely (no lights at all, no radio, no AC and no dash warning lights either).

After trying to start the car a few times, I did some tests as it follows:

1. I measured the battery voltage and it was 8v. Then I jumped the car to my friend's and all the lights, radio and electrical services came back. However the car didn't cracking at all and the gearbox was stuck in parking (I depressed the brake while I tried to move to other gear but I couldn't). Also I put my friend's battery and same issue...No cracking.... I measured instantly again the voltage after releasing the jumpers and it was in 12v, but 5' minutes later was in 10 and 20' it was in 6v. The battery doesn't hold the charge.

2. After jumping my car once more and having some charge over 12v, I checked the engine and dashboard fuse boxes but apparently they are all good. Then I released the jumpers and the battery went flat again.

3. In the other side, I managed to release the shift selector from p by removing the gearbox frame and pulling the yellow pin that keeps the shift in p. I could move the shift selector to any gear, however it got stuck again when I put it back to p. (I did all these steps when the car was jumped).

In addition, I noticed that the step shift lock warning light (green step light in the dashboard) won't turn on at all. Probably it might interfere in the starting process of the vehicle.

The car is parked in a slight inclination which took me to think that it might have affected the parking car system and/or the automatic gearbox in someway. So I did put the shift selector in N and push the car forwards a little bit (20 CMS only or so). When I did it I heard a sound like something was released, but it didn't help to solve the problem at all.

It looks like the car is having two issues. The shift selector gets stuck and the drain battery. As I mentioned the car was running well and never had any issue whatsoever with the electrical functions.

Appreciate any help....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    What was the battery voltage while the car was running?

Sounds like the alternator has failed.

Sadly I haven't been able to run the car since this problem started. So all the voltages were taken when the ignition key was in "on" only.

Users Country Flag
    Putting a new battery in would be the first thing.
    Your DSG needs power to operate. If you restart the car with a new battery, measure the voltage when running. It should be 13V or more. If not, your alternator is likely failed and the system voltage is too low to allow the gearbox to operate.
    Current - 2007 Golf GTI, DSG, RCD510, K&N Panel Filter, BSH PCV revamp, Bluefin Stage 1 tune, 18" Omanyt's with RE003s.
    Previous - 2003 Renault Clio Sport 172 - Flame Red. -Gone-

Users Country Flag
    Usually around 13.8V while running.

Hi,

I just found another fully functional battery. The voltage when the car is off is 13.2v, the dashboard light and all the electrical functions came on but the car didn't start...Any help please...Mk5 won't start and stuck in P-20170117_081924-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Describe exactly what happened when you tried to start it. Any noises like starter trying to turn over or just a dull noise like the solenoid clicking. Or does nothing happen and the dash lights dull.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

There is not cracking sound at all when I try to start it. Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File VID_20170117_102613.mp4

Might be the starter, but it sounds like it's engaging and the motor itself is jammed — I think you need knowledgeable help.

It (the video) reminds me of something I saw a very long time ago (1950's) — an ex-police circa 1941 Willys with a guessing-stick shift that, if you were a bit rough with it would (and did) select two gears at once.
    Last edited by Idle; 17-01-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Any other suggestions for this matter guys?.. Something that takes my attention is why the shift gear get stuck in p and why the shift Lock warning light is not coming on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast