Support VWWC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MK5 TDI rough start issue

Users Country Flag

MK5 TDI rough start issue

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if you guys could help with a MK5 golf which I have recently picked up.

So far I have changed the oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter and housing.

As the title suggests I am having trouble with my golf and its tendency to be difficult to start. As it goes in the morning it will start up first go sort of, for a second or so it is really rough and shakes the car around a bit, much like it is not getting enough fuel. Once started it idles relatively smoothly. The main issue I am having is that when hot it does not like to start as well, really rough and usually doesn't catch on the first try. I have read that it may be the starter motor or battery or some ECU software where it is not injecting enough fuel when it is hot. Below is a clip I hope you guys can give me some ideas. Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiisons View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering if you guys could help with a MK5 golf which I have recently picked up.

As the title suggests I am having trouble with my golf and its tendency to be difficult to start. As it goes in the morning it will start up first go sort of, for a second or so it is really rough and shakes the car around a bit, much like it is not getting enough fuel. Once started it idles relatively smoothly. The main issue I am having is that when hot it does not like to start as well, really rough and usually doesn't catch on the first try. I have read that it may be the starter motor or battery or some ECU software where it is not injecting enough fuel when it is hot. Below is a clip I hope you guys can give me some ideas. Cheers
    I'd suggest that you have it scanned with VCDS. It's by far the best place to start looking. When you drive it, is there excessive smoke from the exhaust at all.

Which engine is it 103KW?

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    No smoke at all thebonly other thing is that the engine sort of wobbles at around 1800rpm

Users Country Flag
    No smoke at all thebonly other thing is that the engine sort of wobbles at around 1800rpm
    Has it been bad starting since you got it or only since the servicing?

Gavin

I've only owned it for two weeks, didn't do it in the test drive but has basically ever since

and yes it is the BKD engine pretty sure.

Users Country Flag
    Check battery voltage before you start it m, and also measure cranking rpm. Needs to be over 280rpm.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Check battery voltage before you start it m, and also measure cranking rpm. Needs to be over 280rpm.
    Thanks for the tips Umai Naa!! I am new to these water-cooled beings. I am more familiar with their older air-cooled siblings.

How would I check cranking RPM? Do I need some scanning cable?

Thanks again.

Users Country Flag
    DSG? Always a good idea to remove starter motor and inspect DSG flywheel. They usually get loose after awhile causing excessive movement on startup causing hard start problems, shaking/hesitation/jerking etc.

Also note that you will probably have a G70 crankshaft sensor fault, which will most likely be due to trying to start it over and over (dont overlook it) but just make sure it's not logged because you've been trying to crank it so long, as opposed to it actually being faulty.

Users Country Flag

Hi Guys,

What's your location?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast