Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MK5 TDI rough start issue

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by piper26 View Post
    How did they test the battery?? Not saying they haven't done it right just I see it quite a lot where aftermarket/ generic battery testers say a battery is fine. Genuine / vas battery tester shows battery is worn or on the verge of wear.

Also what is the rating of your battery??

If you are concerned about starter motor then easily checked with a multimeter.

By wobble under acceleration what exactly do you mean. May have engine mounts wearing
    The battery is a Varta 70Ah 680cc i am about 99% sure. I tested it 12.7 ignition off. 12.4 ignition on. 14.4v idle. I know this does not reflect voltage drop, but when I had someone cranking the engine over while i was holding multimeter on the battery the lowest that I saw was roughly 10.8v which i believe is still good.

The wobble is probably best described as feeling like a wheel is wobbling. Apparently the inner cv joints on this model are prone to failure and that is what has happened to mine. Mechanic also things it maybe the trans and engine mounts contributing to the rough start as the engine is allowed to move too much when cranking. He is not ruling out the starter until he gets a look at it on VCDS

Thanks so much for your help.

Users Country Flag
    Mine was doing very similar things. A new starter motor and it starts like a dream hot or cold!

Hey Steve,

Where did you pick the starter up from and how much was it? It seems that watercooled parts suppliers in Aus are hard to come by...

Thank you for you input. This thread may eventually help someone else out one day.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiisons View Post
    Hey Steve,

Where did you pick the starter up from and how much was it? It seems that watercooled parts suppliers in Aus are hard to come by...

Thank you for you input. This thread may eventually help someone else out one day.
    Not the best and often not the cheap way of repairing a car by throwing the new parts at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Not the best and often not the cheap way of repairing a car by throwing the new parts at it.
    Nope, definitely not.

I have had some other unrelated issues fixed, inner cv joints and outer cv boots, tandem fuel pump and dogbone bush.

Still investigating the starting issue.
    Last edited by kaiisons; 02-03-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Hey I was having a very similar problem with the wobbling and the shaking at low rpm, but I also had a rattle noise coming from the back of the motor. Had it looked at, was told it's the engine mount so got it fixed but the noise and shaking didn't go away. So after close inspection found out it's the dual mass flywheel exactly what I didn't want not the cheapest repair getting it done now get it back on Tuesday hopefully. Mine has 156ks and I was told they go between 150-180xxxkms hope it's not your flywheel.

shaking has been sorted. it was the engine mounts and inner cv joints. have been living with the starting issues.

Users Country Flag
    try disconnecting the coolant temp sensor

which one is that?

Sounded like mine. I replaced my starter motor and it works fine now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234