Support VWWC

Thread: MK5 rattle near tensioner - Failed Alternator pulley?

MK5 rattle near tensioner - Failed Alternator pulley?

Hey

I just purchased a Mk5 BKD TDI (91,000kms!) and am pretty happy with it! However, I am noticing a random rattle, mainly under engine load (when taking off from a stop) coming from the tensioner / serpentine belt area. According to a recent service receipt the tensioner and serpentine belt were both replaced due to a rattle noise but i have read that this rattle can also be caused by a failed alternator pulley. This noise was also occuring when the car was idling yesterday after a long drive - which was supressed when i placed some pressure on the tensioner as the tensioner itself was rattling quite heavily..

Has anyone had a similar issue / experience with this?

Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    I would have it checked out by a VW shop, that could become expensive.
    Did they also do the water pump?
    Our BKD went 200k before needing a water pump last month, but it could be a years of service thing as we are now over ten years.
    Also in the BKD there's a harmonic balancer. If that fails, which is rare but happened to us when the water pump leaked coolant onto the HB causing the rubber to denature, the serpentine belt will go loose and you may get those noises.
    MY09 Golf Candy White 2.0 TDI Pacific
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Quote Originally Posted by yowie View Post
    I would have it checked out by a VW shop, that could become expensive.
    Did they also do the water pump?
    Our BKD went 200k before needing a water pump last month, but it could be a years of service thing as we are now over ten years.
    Also in the BKD there's a harmonic balancer. If that fails, which is rare but happened to us when the water pump leaked coolant onto the HB causing the rubber to denature, the serpentine belt will go loose and you may get those noises.
    Hey mate I managed to swap out the alternator pulley today. Difference was night and day. I actually took my car to a mechanic this morning after yesterday failing to get the alternator pulley off myself. When I took the car in I could reproduce the noise and the tensioner was rattling everywhere. He even mentioned it as not being a problem.. plus they wanted to charge $220 to replace the pulley! Cya!!!! Terrible advice too.

I read up some more and tried again tonight and replaced it myself. I needed to use vacuum metal pipe as a breaker bar to crack the bolt!!

Anyway fixed the issue right away with the new pulley!! Noise gone now just pure TDI racket!

Also RE the water pump - that will be getting replaced with the timing belt when I do timing belt which will be soonish for peace of mind.
    Last edited by epidemic; 14-08-2019 at 07:56 PM.