Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk5 Ignition issue, barrel replacement

Mk5 Ignition issue, barrel replacement

Hi all

Jumped in the car today just to discover the key is not really turning all the way to start the engine. With WD 40 somehow was able to turn it all the way once – started the engine and I got the car home. As soon as I removed the key, inserted it back and tried to twist – same problem, WD40 doesnt help anymore.

So likely the ignition barrel is the problem due to being worn out?

Also wondering if anyone had similar issue? That barrel replacement looks like real PITA to me.

Users Country Flag
    Same issue on mine, needed a new barrel. The mechanism wears out over time, I ordered the part from VW and installed it myself. You have to remove the steering wheel, all the trim around it and the stalks.

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge
    .:Mk5 R32

I've ordered that one, not OEM, it is amazon though so return should be hassle free.

How did you order it from VW, email to the dealership or?
    Also curious if you had to reprogram the keys?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by komrade View Post
    I've ordered that one, not OEM, it is amazon though so return should be hassle free.

How did you order it from VW, email to the dealership or?
    Also curious if you had to reprogram the keys?
    Just went into the dealer and told them the part I wanted, they ordered it straight away for me. Didn't need to reprogram the keys as the part of the lock the key goes into is swapped onto the new mechanism.

righto, not having to reprogram the keys sounds promising!

Any chance you could remember mate, was it:
    the swtich ,i.e. https://partsnavigator.com.au/search/?pcode=1K0905865
    or the lock, https://partsnavigator.com.au/search/?pcode=1K0905851B
    or the key cylinder:

that you ordered?
    Last edited by komrade; 21-04-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Users Country Flag
    It was the key cylinder, should be No.22 in that parts diagram

Users Country Flag
    same thing happened to my mk5 last week, can't tell what exactly broke
    waiting on my replacement ignition barrel from amazon which should be arriving later today, suspected steering lock mechanism failed

key ended up getting stuck and would only turn to between off and the acc position, at this point the steering lock seemed to have failed in the unlock position

I was able to pull off the ignition module(item 10) to start the car with a screw driver, so that wasn't jammed up
    in an attempt to convince the key to turn further, tapping with a pair of plyers while twisting, I managed to knock the steering wheel lock back on. I was still able to disengage it at this point with the little amount that the key turned

figured it couldn't get worse, I removed the key blade from the remote so I could knock on it harder, now turning counter clockwise I hit the key a couple times and it finally let go and I was able to freely spin(but no longer spun the rod that runs through the steering lock assembly that would turn the ignition module at the opposite end) and let me remove the key barrel(item 14) from the rest of the ignition barrel with a paperclip

unfortunately the steering lock looked like it had failed in the lock position so I couldn't turn it to remove the airbag and get to the rest of the innards, I ended up pulling out all of the guts out of the steering lock assembly(item 11?) through the hole that the key barrel came out of and managed to actuate the steering lock manually with a few hard tugs and a long flat head screw driver to disengage the lock and was able to remove the airbag, steering wheel, clock spring, and both stalks

now i've just got to work out how to remove the shear bolts holding the unit to the steering column and I should be able to install the replacement unit
    fyi the mk5 ignition and steering lock assembly is supposed to be 1k0905841 according to ecstuning, I pulled it apart and found a 1k0905851b unit in there(supposed to be for a mk7) so I ended up grabbing an aftermarket bit from amazon

cw.mkv.gti.034ms,s2+

@vinnY
    sounds like a fair amount of hassle. Good that you managed to pull the key out in the end. Are you looking to replace the lock cylinder? cos if yes, it means reprogramming or getting it through the dealership where you tell them VIN and etc, from I've got.

also that amazon order, did you by any chance order the same? https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07TCT5WTM

I ordered it, but now I'm thinking I'll have to order the lock cylinder from dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by sebas_thefish View Post
    It was the key cylinder, should be No.22 in that parts diagram

22 on the diagram is wiring harness adapter, are you certain it wasnt that number 14 (lock cylinder) part you had to replace?

here is the link to the diagram
    2008 Volkswagen Golf/Variant/4Motion Europe market: Electrics Steering col. combi switch

Users Country Flag

It was the lock cylinder I replaced, my bad on the part number. My actual part I installed in the photo.
    Last edited by sebas_thefish; 21-04-2021 at 02:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast