Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mk5 Ignition issue, barrel replacement

Users Country Flag

nah my lock cylinder was fine, it was the steering lock portion that was jammed up(couldn't be turned with a screw driver)
    I'll be popping on the lock cylinder to the new unit once it's here to test that it all spins okay before installation
    shouldn't need any programming stuff, if it does I'll probably swap on my old ignition module since the centre section doesn't have any electronics

nope this was the one ordered this guy
    Last edited by vinnY; 21-04-2021 at 03:34 PM.

cw.mkv.gti.034ms,s2+

thanks for your replies @vinnY @sebas_thefish and the pictures/links posted

I'll be disassembling the damn thing on a weekend, will try to figure out if the key cylinder or the steering lock is faulty.

will post the updates.

On a previous car I owned [Polo 6N2] I had to replace the ignition switch @ around 145,000km & it was a pig of a job. I knew the ignition barrel was worn but it was still working but not smoothly. I was about to sell the car so I left sleeping dogs lay. It made me realize that the barrel needs to be lubricated occasionally. I would not use WD40 as when it dries it leaves a sticky residue. I use a Teflon based gun lube
    that cleans, lubricates everywhere [it's very thin] & when it dries it leaves a Teflon coating on all surfaces.

Best Lock Lubricants for Locksmiths Review, WD40, TriFlow and Lock Saver | Mr. Locksmith Video - YouTube
    Last edited by jets; 22-04-2021 at 07:15 PM.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    graphite powder works well for lubricating things like key barrels without gumming stuff up

update, the steering lock finally did make it but it was jammed out of the box in a similar fashion to how my current one was sticking(only turning half way between off and acc)
    managed to disassemble everything, thankfully only a handful of parts, and put it all back together after inspection and it seems to be working as expected
    might check for debris on the old one and reassemble it all to see if it will function again, would save me from dealing with those shear bolts

cw.mkv.gti.034ms,s2+

Users Country Flag
    little update, drilled 2 holes on the plastic surround that holds in the stalks and just chiseled out the shear screws with a flathead
    installed the new steering lock unit with new m8x20 hex head bolts from bunnings and reinstalled eveyrthing in a matter of minutes

everything working as expected, no coding needed with the new ignition module
    just reused my old key barrel and everythings happy

turns out a little tab behind the black plug broke off and jammed up the mechanism that stopped everything from turning
    all is fine now though, cheap fix luckily

cw.mkv.gti.034ms,s2+

well done vinnY!

my update:
    1. half day spent trying to remove the key cylinder from the barrel
    used these 2 videos as reference but I just can't do it!
    VW Golf 5 ignition lock cylinder removal - YouTube
    VW Key stuck? VW GOLF MK5 How to Remove and Replace Steering Lock and key barrel - YouTube

got calluses on finger from trying different pins, paper clips and ****
    going to locksmith tomo

Users Country Flag
    yeah mine didn't line up perfectly, I had to back it off a little bit behind the dot
    if you shine a light you can see when it becomes a cavity to shove the paperclip into

use a big paperclip if you can, not the smaller ones

cw.mkv.gti.034ms,s2+

I went to local locksmith and he managed to get the key barrel out of the housing somehow. I did hear some metal on metal whacking sounds tho. He said it wasnt possible to get it out due to that moving part not able to recess properly to let the key barrel out.

he did on the replacement housing+lock. To get the lock out of the old housing he suggested drilling a hole through the housing so that moving part could be pressed and recessed through that hole.

so I did that.

checked the old housing by trying to twist the ignition with flat screwdriver - it wasn't working, the old key barrel however was working fine on its own. So I figured the problem was in that housing.

however once I inserted my old key barrel into a new housing - I got the same problem! Both parts work when they separate, however wont work once inserted.

Going to check a few more things before ordering the whole damn thing off VW.
    key barrel is ~370 and the housing is another 380 through VW dealership, I still have an option to order just the key barrel (after proving my car ownership).

will update on how it goes, however looking at all these videos and how other on internet able to sort that issue out - I either got the ****tiest end of all sticks or I'm doing something wrong which is also possible lol.
    Last edited by komrade; 11-05-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Users Country Flag

bad go mate, I did have a similar issue when I first got my replacement steering lock
    tried to turn it with a screw driver and it locked up like my original one
    I ended up disassembling everything to check it out, nothing looked out of place so I reassembled it all and it functioned as it should and is currently installed and functioning

cw.mkv.gti.034ms,s2+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12