Thread: MK5 GTI Project Build Thread

Users Country Flag

MK5 GTI Project Build Thread

MK5 GTI Project Build

Hi all,
    I'm Alex and this is the build thread for my MK5 GTI.

I currently own a 2008 MK5 DSG GTI in Tornado Red sitting at 145xxxkms.

At the moment the only modifications are:

- GFB DV+ (Was underboosting due to a tear in the old factory valve)
    - Resonator delete and sports muffler with curved 3" tips

This build is going to take place over the next year and will hopefully be done in a relatively short time.

To keep it short it is going to be a reliable daily running a Stage 2 tune on stock internals with a possibility of upgrading to a K04 Hybrid turbo later down the track.

Specs of the Build

Engine
    Air intake $147
    Empire Perfomance Downpipe W/ High flow cat - $349
    Redtop Coilpacks - $199
    Sparkplugs (NGK BKR7EIX) $57.50

ECU and TCU/DSG Tuning
    ECU Tune Unitronic Stage 2
    TCU/DSG Tune Stage 2 (or whatever is required)
    Uniconnect Cable+

Brakes, Wheels, Tyres and Suspension
    Wheel Alignment (Beaurepaires did the last one and now the steering wheel hangs to the right, they insist it's the crests on the roads in our area even though it does it on dead flat roads)
    Wheels 18" Detroit rims off a MK6 GTI (Seen them going for $400 for a set of 4)
    Tyres (Thinking Bridgestone Potenza RE003 or Michelin PSS4)
    Coilovers (to get started I shall be using some coilovers from eBay)
    Dogbone mount polyurethane insert
    Polyurethane bushing kit (if anyone knows one for a decent price let me know)

Interior
    Re-trim door cards (urgent, they're falling apart)
    Replace rear cup holders
    Replace drink divider (VW bottle opener thing, if anyone knows where I can get one cheap would be great)
    Replace window switches, light switch, mirror switch and fuel switch with silver trimmed ones (believe they come from the Jetta but eBay has cheap OEM ones)
    Replace drivers door lock switch (Has a gouge in it)
    Replace handbrake leather (Worn and keeps coming off)
    Replace DSG surround (May just spray paint with matte paint)
    Drivers aircon vent digital boost gauge
    Replace mats with OE mat set

Done
    - GFB DV+ (Was underboosting due to a tear in the old factory valve)
    - Resonator delete and sports muffler with curved 3" tips

150xxx Service (Including DSG oil service and HPFP cam follower replacement) Parts $236.50 Labour FREE
    - DSG fluid
    - Engine oil
    - DSG filter
    - Engine oil filter
    - HPFP cam follower

- Air intake (Ebay Special, not bad quality and does the job)
    - Detroit rims (Found some with tyres for $500 cash and will change them when they're spent)
    - Wheel Alignment (Jax tyres are reccomended, turns out one front wheel has 1 degree neg camber and the other front wheel has 1 degree positive camber so I need adjustable camber bolts to fix this)

Pictures

20181025-143406 — imgbb.com
    20190103-145854 — imgbb.com
    20190103-145905 — imgbb.com
    20190103-145912 — imgbb.com

Any advice and constructive criticism is welcomed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MK5 GTI Project Build Thread-20181025_143406-jpg  
    Last edited by Herbi3221; 19-03-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Nice to see a build thread on here! Good luck with it all.

My 2c: spend a bit more on some name-brand coilovers or suspension kits if you can. You'll need to replace most of the suspension bolts and nuts with new ones, since most of them are torque-to-yield and won't be safe to reuse once you've taken them out; it makes it worth getting some decent components the first time. I run AP coilovers on my mk5: Buy AP Suspension Coilover Kit - GF10-040 | Demon Tweeks - they're only a few hundred bucks more than eBay suspension, and the ride/handling balance is incredible for the price. Vogtland is another super well-reviewed cheap brand if you want to go lower.

I also spent another ~$400 on new high-density strut mounts and bearings, which you'll probably want to do if your car's around 150k kms - also makes the install way easier since you don't have to disassemble the old units.

In terms of tunes: I run a stage 1 Superchips tune on mine, which is probably the cheapest way to get more power out of an FSI engine (about $400 shipped for a DIY tuning unit). I'm about to jump to stage 3 with them with a K04, but wouldn't recommend them for stage 2; some people have issues with misfires and fuelling. Revo's meant to be good, and cheaper than APR.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    @maltbbe

Thanks for the input! I didn't think demon tweeks had an AU branch so I think i'll definitely switch to those coils and I will probably go with the new mounts and bearings too.

As for the tune I've looked into Superchips and have seen mixed reviews. Been looking at either eTuners Australia if I can get a good price or Tarmac engineering which is essentially like Superchips but they are based in Queensland and offered me a good ECU and TCU/DSG package with customisations for a flat rate and have a similar tool that Superchips have meaning I can do it from home.

Only other one I've seen like that is Unitronic but their gains do not seem to be as significant.

UPDATE!

So the car is now sitting on 149xxx kms

So far the main service has been sorted with the HPFP cam follower also being replaced as a precautionary item.
    Car is driving smoothly and running well.

Tune has been decided and shall be Unitronic.
    A few small things left to be done before the tunes are purchased and installed, these include:

- Installing the downpipe
    - Installing the CAI
    - Installing the new spark plugs
    - Installing the boost gauge (If time allows)

Aiming to have this completed in the coming months but shall see how we go.

I shall take as many photos as possible and list how I do the boost gauge and spark plugs.

Users Country Flag
    How did you go with your door card retrimming? I just replaced mine from the Jetta with ones obtained from a member on here (Oli). Pretty easy job, and I'm so happy with the outcome. My new ones were from a low km wreck.
    Richard
    2007 Black Jetta 103TDI Manual, 18s, body kit + rear spoiler
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 Manual - The petrol guzzler!

1st post updated, pics to come with intake install soon!

@Cheezel
    Still need to do it! headliner is also starting to sag. Hopefully I can find someone who can do it all with factory material.

Intake is installed, New rims installed and the downpipe is getting done next week. Once done, I'll be off to my reseller for Unitronic tunes to pick up a uniconnect+ and my Stage 2 Tune And Stage 2 DSG Tune.

Will post pictures as soon as time allows. Rims look great on the MK5

Screenshot-20190320-141238-Files — imgbb.com
    Last edited by Herbi3221; 20-03-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Haven't posted in a while!

This car has now been sold.

The plan was to go K04 but seems it would cost more money than it was worth.

Have since purchased a '09 Reflex Silver MK5 GTI Pirelli and plan to go Stage 2+ with that one whilst keeping it OEM+ so keep an eye out for that build thread!