Thread: Mk5 dsg gear selector assembly replacement

Mk5 dsg gear selector assembly replacement

Hi all,

I've got an 08 gti with the dsg. A few weeks ago I had flashing prnds start on the dash. When it flashes, the car will randomly choose to shift itself into neutral, usually when the car is stopped, at the lights or other. Random number of restarts got it to stop flashing and all was good. Now its started to do the flashing prnds at anytime, even after first starting the car without it flashing.
    I've had the fault diagnosed to the gear selector assembly, and it needs to be replaced.

I've searched far and wide to try and find any info on how to do this online, without success. The vw mechanic I spoke to originally said it's all something that can be done inside the car, by removing the center console and tracing 1 cable to the gearbox.

I've got the center console out and have access to the shifter and removed 4 top bolts, but it appears as though u need to also access the remaining part of this assembly from under the car.

I havent gotten under there yet, and am in 2 minds about trying to get under to have a look, or just take to my mechanic and put it on the hoist...

I'm sourcing a replacement part from a wrecker tomorrow, as I needed the part number from the original one, which I now have.

Has anyone undertaken this job before and can shed any light?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

For anyone else in this position, after hours of searching, I've found info.
    You need to remove part of the exhaust, then the under body panel to remove the selector from underneath the car.

Details here Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Golf Mk5 > Power transmission > 6-speed manual gearbox 02Q > Gearbox mechanics,operation, construction,diff. > Repairing selector mechanism > Removing and installing selector mechanism > Removing

Users Country Flag
    From what i remember about these its actually a thermal sensor going haywire cause the gearbox to go into a protection mode. food for thought

On Wing and Prayer from Washington State USA

Quote Originally Posted by ajm1984 View Post
    For anyone else in this position, after hours of searching, I've found info.
    You need to remove part of the exhaust, then the under body panel to remove the selector from underneath the car.

Details here Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Golf Mk5 > Power transmission > 6-speed manual gearbox 02Q > Gearbox mechanics,operation, construction,diff. > Repairing selector mechanism > Removing and installing selector mechanism > Removing

I have a very similar issue and want to ask two things if possible. 1., Did the replacement of the unit fix the PRNDS? and, 2. What was the part number?

Thanks in advance.

James