Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk5 cluster upgrade

Mk5 cluster upgrade

As much as I love my MK5 GTI it's getting a bit long in the tooth and starting to show it's age. A few years ago I replaced the head unit to a newer Android based unit which made the interior feel a bit newer but the dash / instrument cluster with its red LED pixels is outdated and really reminds you the car is 16 years old!

Just a wish at this stage but I would really like to replace the cluster, from a little bit of research it seems I will need:

Mk6 / Sirocco dash (can find on ebay/wrecker)
    36 to 32 pin adaptor (have seen on Ali express and carsystems.eu)
    Coding of immobiliser
    Upgrade cecm as it's a newer protocol

Has anybody attempted the above? How hard is it to do myself (only have vcds with limited knowledge) or how expensive will it be to find somebody to do it?

More importantly is it even possible wirh my midline cluster and are all mk6 GTI clusters compatible?

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Message user 'kamold' on this forum and he will explain everything for you. He can also do the immobiliser coding for your new cluster (you can't do the swap with VCDS).

He helped me with the cluster upgrade in my R32.

Also you DON'T want a cluster from a Mk6 GOLF, they look similar to the Scirocco but they're not the same shape and won't fit in the Mk5 dash.
    .:Mk5 R32

Quote Originally Posted by sebas_thefish View Post
    Message user 'kamold' on this forum and he will explain everything for you. He can also do the immobiliser coding for your new cluster (you can't do the swap with VCDS).

Also you DON'T want a cluster from a Mk6 GOLF, they look similar to the Scirocco but they're not the same shape and won't fit in the Mk5 dash.
    I saw his name when reading some of the posts about cluster upgrades Mk5 cluster upgrade

Thanks for the quick replay mate.

BTW, which cluster did you put into yours?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by adey88 View Post
    I saw his name when reading some of the posts about cluster upgrades Mk5 cluster upgrade

Thanks for the quick replay mate.

BTW, which cluster did you put into yours?

I just upgraded the half height to full MFD screen but kept the R32 cluster. I love the look of it too much to change it. (Unless I can find a facelift Scirocco R cluster with colour MFDMk5 cluster upgrade)

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge

Users Country Flag

Oh btw you can actually use the internals of a Mk6 cluster and swap them into a Scirocco housing since standard Scirocco clusters are dime a dozen and R ones are rare as hens teeth.

Are you sure you mean sirocco? I haven't come across one yet.

I have seen plenty of jetta clusters, they seem to be the same shape as mk5. I wonder if the mk6 internals fit into that...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by adey88 View Post
    Are you sure you mean sirocco? I haven't come across one yet.

I have seen plenty of jetta clusters, they seem to be the same shape as mk5. I wonder if the mk6 internals fit into that...

The Mk5 Jetta/Golf and pre facelift Scirocco have the same cluster housing so yes it'll fit.

Since you have a Gti I'd be buying a Mk6 Gti cluster and a Mk5 Jetta/Golf cluster and swapping the parts over to make it fit.

Or if you are lucky enough to find a facelift Scirocco cluster that'll work too and look the best: 3D Tacho Scirocco lift 1K8920885D SW0705 w vw golf 5 - YouTube
    Last edited by sebas_thefish; 20-10-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Or if you are lucky enough to find a facelift Scirocco cluster that'll work too and look the best: 3D Tacho Scirocco lift 1K8920885D SW0705 w vw golf 5 - YouTube
    Wow that Scirocco cluster looks amazing! What sort of costs would be involved with a complete swap like that? Are there many other parts that need to be swapped as well?
    2016 GTI 40 Years | 2012 Up! | 2006 Jetta - Sold

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL744 View Post
    Wow that Scirocco cluster looks amazing! What sort of costs would be involved with a complete swap like that? Are there many other parts that need to be swapped as well?
    I believe it requires: cluster wiring adapter
    New steering wheel control module
    New CANBUS module
    Possibly Mk6+ steering wheel to properly control the MFD

It's the only cluster upgrade I'd do, if only it wasn't so damn hard to find a facelift Scirocco R cluster.

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge

This unit would fit with the harness adaptor... As its from a jetta with a mk6 steering wheel would I lose all functionality of my current steering wheel buttons?

My guess is yes but maybe somebody can confirm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast