Thread: MK Golf Canbus Gateway Module

MK Golf Canbus Gateway Module

Has anyone had any experience in replacing their Canbus module? I'm mainly interested in knowing if i need to reprogram the module if I'm installing a like for like part (same part no).

I have seen a heap of posts in many VW forums about reprogramming but these all link back to upgrading the head unit and installing a newer version of the cambus module.

I currently have no connection to the car through the scanner so i would have no idea how to get the coding off the old part

Users Country Flag
    You don't need to copy the coding but it's generally easier to do so.
    The coding of a new gateway is pretty trivial however - just need to tell it what other modules are installed in the car.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Thanks for the reply

I have the issue at the moment where the car turns on and off straight away. So what you are saying is essentially if the Canbus module failure is the issue causing the problems, replacing for a like part number won't bring with it any other issues? the car should just start?

Users Country Flag
    Gateways very rarely fail.
    I would be surprised if that is the source of your problem.
    Not impossible of course but you'll need to provide a lot more information and ideally a full autoscan.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

It was when we had that full downpour in Sydney water got into my car and filled up in the foot well so i think it was water damage.

I can't complete any scans as the car does not register with the anyone's scanners.

It started once, the speedo was going crazy, i had no lights or power steering but nothing since that day just turns on and off straight away

Users Country Flag
    Ok the gateway is underneath the rain scuttle on the right. So if it is water damaged then swap it out.

I swapped it out today. I didn't have the exact like for like part number as i took a guess but i switched it over and now the car starts and OBD checker had full connection.

Thanks for the assistance