Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark 5 2.0 TDI (2008) Air con issue

Mark 5 2.0 TDI (2008) Air con issue

hi folks
    I would appreciate some insight into an air con issue I have. I noticed it was slow to go cool - like 5 - 10 minutes after which it was OK but not icy.
    My service guy says the compressor is only making 11-12 bar and is probably worn out. Car had done 140K kms, not a lot I would have thought.

Dies this sound right? And I am told just $1200 will set it right again.

Any comments will be very welcome
    Cheers
    Geoff

Users Country Flag
    Yep. Ac compressors on vw are not great. Mk5 and 6 had issues. Fitted loads and the always fail your way...takes a while to get cold..when cold not 100% ac cold but is working about 60%. New compressor mate..VDUB...
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag
    Yep. Agreed. I had the exact same issue 12 months ago. Car had about 105k km on the clock. Cost me $1200 to get the compressor replaced. Even with it replaced it's nowhere near as instant as my Mazda CX-7 was but at least it works and the car is cooling within 5 minutes.
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Exact same problem here mate. I recently recplaced the TX valve which is said to fail, but this didn't fix the problem. I was quoted $850 for a brand new OEM compressor from VW and $600 for an aftermarket.

I ended up picking up a new aftermarket compressor from the states, and will be getting the compressor fitted, the system flushed and re-gassed next week.
    Last edited by DWBN; 27-11-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks very much for that guys, at least I know where I am at now.

Dubber I would greatly appreciate knowing where you got you new compressor from...

Thanks again guys

Dwbn, could you point us to where you got the compressor from? Thanks.
    06 Polo GTI - REVO Stage 2 = 140kw @ wheels.
    06 Golf GTI - Bluefin Stage 1 blacked out with ED30 theme, leather, xenon, etc.

Users Country Flag
    No worries - It's an aftermarket model, but comes with 2yr warranty so should be all good. Will have it fitted on Friday and will post the results.
    Last edited by DWBN; 27-11-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I may as well piggy-back off this thread...

I have a 2007 Octavia. I assume the AC setup is near identical to a MK5/Mk6 Golf. I'm trying to work out if there's a problem brewing that can be fixed before catastrophic failure / large bills.

I rarely use the AC - maybe once a month for 10-20 minutes and it seems to work fine.

What I have noticed is that AC off i use 0.8L/hour fuel when idling. With the AC on the fuel usage is anywhere between 1.6L/hr up to 2.4L/hour. Similarly, I use about 20%-30% more fuel when driving with AC on. It's only something I've noticed in the last 12 months but maybe it's always been like that?

I expect an increase in consumption but this seems excessive. Is this early signs of a probelm with the compressor? (eg: excessive drag).
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

The rule of thumb used to be that the AC drag approximately equalled one passenger — probably still is.

The VW units I've had show as using about .2 L/hr more at idle, probably due to the increased idle speed when the AC is on.

I'd certainly be investigating before something expensive goes wrong (if it hasn't already...)

Users Country Flag

0.2-0.5L/hr increase is what I'd expect.

Idle speed jumps about 150rpm with AC on.

It's still icy cold so but I think early intervention would reduce costs. Assuming compressor is dieing and need change-out then I guess the receiver / drier / filter thingy is due & maybe the TX valve?
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast