Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make 12v turn off with key?

Users Country Flag

Make 12v turn off with key?

The 12v cigarette lighter stays on even with the engine off in my 2006 mk5 Golf. Ive got a FM transmitter that I don't want to stay on 24/7!

How can I make it turn off when I turn the engine off? I've seen that on mk6 its only a matter of moving a fuse over, but for the mk5 it might be a whole other deal?

Users Country Flag
    Have you checked the power state after the key is removed, not just engine off? The power to radio etc is only cut when the key is removed.
    I've not noticed mine having power after leaving the car, but I think the trunk power outlet was constant.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I’ve noticed the fm transmitter is still on when the keys are out and the car locked. I tried the one in the boot and the fm transmitter powers up as soon as it’s plugged in with the keys not even in the ignition.

For 2005 power is on all the time to both front and rear sockets, it is possible to make a little "adaptor" lead to change it from powered to switched. Ive seen it done for the radio but it would be possible for the lighter sockets as well.

What year etc is your car?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hey my golf is 2006 model. Is this adapter change something a regular mechanic could do as I have no clue about these things. What kind of adapter would I need?

It’s just a fuse with some long wires on it so it can jumper between different fuse sockets. Some aftermarket radios need to done so they turn off with the ignition. Anybody could fit it. Just plugs in.
    Though in this case it may not work depending on what else is on that fuse . I’ll try and have a look at the wiring tonight and see what else would be effected and if it is feasible.

Users Country Flag
    So I saw on on of the MK7 sub that there is a fuse that can be put in one way for constant, and another for switched.
    I wonder if the same applies to MK5 ?
    How To Make Your 12v Outlet Stay On ~ No Tools Required - YouTube
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold

I didn’t get to look into it last night hopefully tonight.

It would be nice if it was that easy. But I don’t recall seeing any spots in the mk5 fuse boxes that would allow that to happen.

I just had a squiz at the wiring diagram. The Lighter sockets are on fuse 24 on the inside Fuse panel (side of the dash ) Fuse 11 is described as unassigned and it is switched power.

So it will be possible to make a little jumper with a fuse in line to take the power from Fuse 11 to 24 and then the power will go off with the ignition.

This youtube clip shows the concept, this is for the radio circuit and is the fuse box in the engine bay but the idea is the same.
    VW GOLF MK5 BATTERY DRAIN SOLVED - YouTube

Users Country Flag

Give it a go mate, mock it up first to test. Make sure you have a fuse on it. If it works you can make it look nice. You could even move the pin over from the back side of the fuse box if you want it t look stock.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast