Thread: Jetta MK6 147 TSI consuming too much oil

Unhappy Jetta MK6 147 TSI consuming too much oil

Hi All,
    Currently own a Jetta with about 70k on the clock and find myself needing to top up the oil once every few weeks. I top it up to full and a few weeks later its down to the min line. If I leave it for a month I get a message on the dash saying oil is low. This euro oil is not bloody cheap either.. I have changed the oil PCV and this hasn't helped. Changed spark plugs, coil plugs, full oil change with proper 5w30 synthetic and new oil filter. New fuel filter, air filter. Have I missed anything that could be causing it? I've been told maybe I could use a thicker 10w40 oil that would help but also that my piston rings may be the issue? Car runs perfectly aside from this issue.

Users Country Flag
    My Mk6 GTI used to use a bit of oil, and i found that changing to the Penrite Enviro+ 5w-40 oil helped to reduce the oil consumption........it still consumed the oil, but less of it.

Worth a try in your car perhaps? Penrite Enviro+ Engine Oil - 5W-40 5 Litre | Supercheap Auto

Another positive is that the 5w-40 is actually cheaper than the 5w-30.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for the info I will give that a try on the next oil change. Unless its safe to top up using this oil or should I do a full flush of the 5w30 oil currently in there first?

Users Country Flag
    Unless the oil in your engine currently is old and due to be replaced, I would just top it up with the new oil - but its up to you.

Just note that if you top up with 5w-40, but the majority of the oil in the car is 5w-30, then the effects (if any on your car) of the different oil will be reduced as it will be mixed with the existing oil.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

if it's the same engine as the mk5 GTI, they have a history of high oil consumption, as apparently they have soft rings. My son had one with only 60k on the clock, and same as you, he had to top it up every few weeks. VW claimed that 1litre per 1000k's is acceptable, and within spec!