Thread: How does the 1.6 rate?

Users Country Flag

How does the 1.6 rate?

I've read a lot on here about people's GTIs, TDIs and FSIs. But how does the 1.6L engine compare? Obviously it's smaller and less powerful, but is it adequate for the car, for ordinary everyday usage compared with say a 2.0 FSI?

I test drove a 1.6 Trendline today and I was expecting more zip - but admittedly it was hard to keep it under 50. It may have been the quietness of the engine or the driving position that made me not feel the acceleration.

Also, I take it the Trendline is the bottom of the line golf?

Comments welcome, as I'm looking to buy a Mk5 soonish.

Thanks.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

The only thing that comes in under 2 litres is milk and OJ!
    Volvo S60 RD T6

Users Country Flag
    They're much the same unit as the 2.0 and 1.6 from the MK4, so expect the odd water pump failure.

As with the 2.0 FSI, avoid the auto. It hurts the performance markedly, plus they're troublesome. With a manual box, the cars are quite spritely around town.

Other than that, they're like any other MK5, really. I'd have one in the garage if I picked one up on the cheap.

Although, if you can afford it, get a MK6 77TSI. They're in the low $20,000s on-road. Same idea, but newer, and way more refined.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by greasykitchen View Post
    I've read a lot on here about people's GTIs, TDIs and FSIs. But how does the 1.6L engine compare? Obviously it's smaller and less powerful, but is it adequate for the car, for ordinary everyday usage compared with say a 2.0 FSI?

I test drove a 1.6 Trendline today and I was expecting more zip - but admittedly it was hard to keep it under 50. It may have been the quietness of the engine or the driving position that made me not feel the acceleration.
    Also, I take it the Trendline is the bottom of the line golf?

Comments welcome, as I'm looking to buy a Mk5 soonish.

Thanks.
    My wife has no problems getting speeding fines in hers.

I think a 1.6NA car with 1.4 tonne body isn't going to feel particularly zippy though it can build up speed eventually on the highways.

I think it's a smart move they finally moved to a 1.2T engine. Eventhough it's only got the same hp as a 1.6NA engine, it's got loads more torque further down the rev range.

Regardless of engine choice, I would steer clear of the trendline spec (lowest spec in the range) as they lack many handy features in my opinion.

It's a very basic car, especially in 1.6 guise.
    MKV Golf 2.0 TDI DSG Sportline. Just nice.

My in-laws had a MkIV 1.6, then a MkIV 2.0 and now a MkV 2.0; all autos.

Yes the 1.6 was a touch gutless but still perfectly driveable as an A-B proposition.
    07 Jetta TFSI | 18" Charlestons | Blue Graphite

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful input, folks. Keep it coming.

It pretty much confirmed my thoughts. For one thing I'm not confident that the 1.6 is powerful enough for the car. I've decided to give this particular car a miss, but it has given me a real taste for the modern golf.

Even in it's lower specs (and the dealer assured me that the Trendline is not the base model - the car is also advertised as having 8 airbags [pretty sure it's 6] and made in Germany [probably South Africa]) it was great to drive and seemed head and shoulders above say a Toyota (we already knew that didn't we ). But I've driven a Mk1 for 6 years so anything modern is a bit of a revelation.

Still gonna try and check out a 2.0 FSI (what does FSI stand for?) that's for sale. Otherwise I'll need to be patient to find the right one and/or reassess my budget.

I think anyone I'm serious about will be inspected by German Auto or similar.

Cheers
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline