Thread: How to check timing chain wear 2.0 FSI

Users Country Flag

How to check timing chain wear 2.0 FSI

Hi all,

I've been noticing what can only be described as a rasping sound from my 2.0 FSI N/A manual Jetta. It seems more common when the engine is hot, and it varies with engine RPM. Strangely it's definitely audible in the cabin, but when you open the engine bay it is less noticeable - I guess the other noises drown it out. I was thinking it might be the cam chain guides that have worn out? Is it possible to check timing chain wear through VCDS as you can on the R32s?

Cheers,
    Michael
    2016 GTI 40 Years | 2012 Up! | 2006 Jetta - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by MEL744 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been noticing what can only be described as a rasping sound from my 2.0 FSI N/A manual Jetta. It seems more common when the engine is hot, and it varies with engine RPM. Strangely it's definitely audible in the cabin, but when you open the engine bay it is less noticeable - I guess the other noises drown it out. I was thinking it might be the cam chain guides that have worn out? Is it possible to check timing chain wear through VCDS as you can on the R32s?

Cheers,
    Michael
    Unless I'm seriously mistaken, your engine won't have a timing chain, it will have a belt.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    The 2.0FSI engine uses a timing belt for keeping the crankshaft and exhaust camshaft in time. It then (on the passenger side of the engine behind the high pressure fuel pump) uses a chain to keep the 2x camshafts timed.

The chain and tensioner that keeps the 2x camshafts in time is somewhat common to go bad or stretch. Might be worth getting that checked out.

Look at Step #6 in this guide for some photos: A quick D.I.Y. Cam Chain and Tensioner *BPY engines | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The 2.0FSI engine uses a timing belt for keeping the crankshaft and exhaust camshaft in time. It then (on the passenger side of the engine behind the high pressure fuel pump) uses a chain to keep the 2x camshafts timed.

The chain and tensioner that keeps the 2x camshafts in time is somewhat common to go bad or stretch. Might be worth getting that checked out.

Look at Step #6 in this guide for some photos: A quick D.I.Y. Cam Chain and Tensioner *BPY engines | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum
    Yep was thinking it could be that chain. Guess a manual inspection is the only way to go?

Does it sound a bit like Chewbacca? There is a secondary HVAC fan inside the cabin where the bearing dies or get's a lot of crud in it and get's npisy. Try turning the AC on and off and see if the noise changes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I'm not quite sure how to describe it, it is kind of like a hollow rasping noise. See attached video. VW 2.0 FSI Grinding Sound - YouTube

Yesterday I tried switching the AC on/off multiple times while driving, nothing changed. When parking there was no noise, I shut the engine off and started it again immediately - then the noise appeared! This is when I recorded the video, and while recording switched the AC on which made the noise go away, as you can hear at the end of the video. Switching the AC off did not make the noise come back.
    Last edited by MEL744; 11-09-2021 at 10:20 AM.