Thread: Head Unit + reverse camera

Head Unit + reverse camera

Hi Guys

I have a 2007 Golf TDI, I'm going to upgrade the stock head unit to RCD 330+ and was also thinking of getting a reverse camera.

I've spoken to Volkstech and they said $699 for the head unit and $1.2k for the flip badge
    then spoken to Naviplus and they said $550 for the head unit and $250 for the flip badge, plus $200 for install

I'm guessing that the flip camera from Naviplus is not OEM but Volkstech is

Question is does anyone here have actually experience with Naviplus as their reviews online is not exactly 100% positive?

Or if anyone could recommend me a work shop in Melbourne that does flip badge and head unit that is trust worthy and not going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Much Appreciated

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    Is VW Central still operating in Melbourne? They did my badge camera.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

I had mine installed (connected to a Pioneer head unit) by No Limit in City Rd, South Melb. They sell the OEM version, however I got one from China for C.$225 which for all intents and purposes is the same as the OEM one, they said. I posted about it here.
    2007 Passat V6 FSI 4Motion Sedan | Reflex Silver | DBA Slotted Rotors | ATE Ceramics | Pioneer Car Play |
    | Emblem Reverse Camera | R-Line MFSW w. flappy paddles! | Supernova Headlight LEDs & Parkers |
    On the radar: Chrome switches, engine mounts | Living vicariously through everybody else's mods!

Users Country Flag
    The Naviplus quote sounds comparable to the cost of a head unit + camera direct from China ($~350 for the HU, ~$150 for the camera). I think they're all likely to *technically* be OEM; my Aliexpress RCD330 looked like 'new old stock' (it had marks from where it had been fitted into/removed from a Chinese domestic market VW), and I'm guessing it's the same deal with the reversing cameras (I haven't ordered one - yet - but I've ordered a ton of other small VW bits from Aliexpress and they're all stamped with VW part numbers). You're actually probably better off getting a camera either from Aliexpress or at a lower price bracket, because the reversing cameras used in Australian-delivered Mk5s and Mk6s use a weird old-VW-specific type of video input, and the RCD330s just take an RCA input.

IMO an RCD330 upgrade seriously isn't worth overpaying for - $699 is pretty wild. The head unit is also a super easy DIY job; I bet the camera's a fair bit harder (having done RVCs on friends' cars), but if you can do without it you could save a ton of cash by going the Aliexpress + DIY route.

I just bought this one and Kamold installed it for me. It picks up the wheel position from the canbus and the image is great.

Instructions not so great.

For VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf 6 7 MK7 MK6 Passat CC Polo Flip Logo Emblem Camera Badge Rotating Camera Dynamic Trajectory Line CCD-in Vehicle Camera from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    GTI | MY08 | Blue Graphite | DSG | Leather | Bi-Xenon | RNS510 |

The guy at no limit quoted me $1,000 for an after market flip camera and $500 for install since golf mk5 needs modding / cutting on tail gate. I told him the genuine one cost approx $800 and he started stuttering telling me thats just how it is. Truely no limit to pricing.

Think I'd just take my chances with Naviplus since I dont want to DIY and deal with the vcds coding.
    Last edited by DatNewbie; 08-07-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Users Country Flag

Yes the boot metal needs modification. It's a non-trivial install. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500