Thread: GTI Oil Leak & Rattle Diagnosis

GTI Oil Leak & Rattle Diagnosis

Hi Everyone, long time VW tragic returned...

I bought a 06 GTI about 4 months ago with 110k on it, perfect service history, belts and DSG service done just before I bought it. Since then I've been trying to DIY some more so I've done an oil change and replaced the cam follower (it was in pretty good shape).

I've now noticed a rattle (more than the HPFP noise!) from the engine and a oil leak up top, I think I've diagnosed the problems but wanted to check in before I start doing any work.

Here is a picture of the top of the oil leak - am I right in thinking this is the valve cover gasket?
    GTI Oil Leak & Rattle Diagnosis-img_20191215_164723-jpg
    This looks easy enough to fix so I'll have a crack at this myself.

As for the rattle, I'm not so sure. There could almost be two rattles, one from around the PCV and one from the cam chain area. Is it possible for the PCV to rattle if it is on the way out? I've got no other symptoms, power is fine, no misfires, idle maybe a little high - 850rpm? Car sounds fine on cold start with the rattle setting in after a few minutes. Here's a video of how it sounds.

Any help would be really appreciated, especially if its the cam chain. I think I could do that job while I'm off work for a few weeks but dread all that work and not fixing the problem or discovering something worse!

Thanks!
    Rob - Canberra
    Now: 06 Golf GTI (Blue)
    Past: 07 Passat TDI Wagon, 06 Golf GTI (Red) 04 Golf FSI, 97 MkIII Golf GL

Users Country Flag
    can't help with the rattle, but it won't be a noisy chain, as they use a belt. Have had an 06 gti, an 06 jetta and an audi a4 in the family, all with the same engine, and they all had the same rattle once they warmed up!

Users Country Flag

They have a chain that drives the intake cam off the exhaust cam.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0