Thread: Golf 2.0 Tdi - how much is 'too much oil' ?

Users Country Flag

Golf 2.0 Tdi - how much is 'too much oil' ?

My car received recently its 15000km service in Adelaide by an 'authorised repair centre' (please note: no names mentioned here Upon arrival at home I checked the oil level, just in case. The oil level covers the top of the bulb above the level indicator. I rang the service centre, and have been asked to come into the workshop, for them to have a look at this issue. After several people looked at the car I was told this to be ok, and this issue not to cause any problems (I questioned if this may cause damage to the catalytic converter) I quote: we slightly overfill all cars. If this plays on your mind we can take the excess out.

1st question : Shall I have the excess oil taken out?
    2nd question : Ho much more oil is currently in my engine? (100ml?, 500ml? etc)

Last edited by Rainer; 22-02-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    1st question : Shall I have the excess oil taken out?
    2nd question : How much more oil is currently in my engine? (100ml?, 500ml? etc)
    Depends on when you checked the oil level and whether it was on a really level surface when you checked it. If it was on a level surface but the engine was recently switched off (ie checked level within 60 seconds of switching off) then it may be even more over-filled if you wait a few more minutes to let all the oil drain down.

My dealership has slightly over-filled mine (5 cyl TDI transporter) at the last two oil changes, but only to about 2-3mm up from the bottom surface of the top bulb with the engine oil completely drained down.

Your dealer may be trying to "help" in case your engine burns a bit of oil (some new TDI engines do go through a bit of oil at first).

If you want an indication of how confident they are about the level they have filled it to you could ask for a letter signed by the service manager (or workshop foreman) describing the exact oil level and stating that this will not harm your catalysts (or anything else), and that they will cover these in the event they are shown to be damaged by excess oil.

If they are reluctant to supply such a letter then I'd be insisting that they remove the excess oil. Often when people are unwilling to put down on paper (and sign) what they are telling you verbally it indicates you can't rely on what they are saying.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Car is on level surface, switched off for 3 hours ...thanks for reply

The difference between Max & Min on the GTI dipstick is 500ml of oil, not sure about the oil burners though.

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)
    Had the same issue.
    Sent an email to VW and they said "was fine at that level" did not give reason
    for the extra oil.
    Have now done 5000km and no sign of any oil usage.

Will be interesting to see if they overfill after first oil change at 15000km

Did you write the e-mail to VW Australia or VW Germany? I believe that either one of them has got different interests at heart. My opinion would be that the interests are: VW Australia the sales side of things and VW Germany as the manufacturer/developer the design side of things. I bet the response would therefore differ!

I have now used a syringe and removed the excess amount of oil, which equated to 240ml. To me it is quite unbelievable that instead of just removing the excess oil and saying sorry this 'service centre' chose to argue with me, the customer that this not an issue. (basically making a mockery of basic manufacturers instructions) I certainly will keep this in mind when the 1st service needs to be done on my wife's Polo Tdi.

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)
    Did you notice the car was overfilled when it was first delivered.(new)
    emailed vw Australia who basically pointed me to my dealer if I required
    more detailed info.
    I would have thought after the 15000k service the level would have be at
    the maximin point not overfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Did you notice the car was overfilled when it was first delivered.(new)
    emailed vw Australia who basically pointed me to my dealer if I required
    more detailed info.
    I would have thought after the 15000k service the level would have be at
    the maximin point not overfilled.
    Overfill happened during the 1st 15000k service in Adelaide. The oil level was ok when I received the car from VW dealer in Geelong. There was also a note of all the things that have been checked prior to handover (I did not buy this car in Adelaide)

Mine was filles like that afer first service. Did nit question it becase lite overfill will nto cause any damges to you engine at all.
    After first service at 15000km I added some oil at 23500...... and filled it up to the top of bulbe.....
    I think that dealer may compensate for oil usgae in diesel engines, and the fact that there are people that do not check oil levels at all until next schedule service.....
    Hope this will put you mind at ease
    GOLF V 2.0 TDI COMFORTLINE
    SAY NO TO INTERNET FILTER http://www.getup.org.au/ http://nocleanfeed.com/