Support VWWC

Thread: Evap system part numbers

Users Country Flag

Evap system part numbers

Hi, I've done a search, but not really successful.
    I'm occaisionally getting CEL for Evap system on my 1.4 TSI (125).
    Based on previous discussions I am leaning towards needing a new Charcoal Canister. If it was the N80 valve, I figure it would be constant.
    My searches have come up with part number 1K0201897AE but I have no idea if that's correct.
    Can anyone confirm the part number or point me to a site where I can look up part numbers via my VIN ?

Users Country Flag
    The charcoal canister is a common issue on the Mk5/Mk6 Golf platform. I had to replace the charcoal canister on my Mk6 GTI due to a similar error to yours (cant remember the actual error because it was about 4 years ago, but it would come and go occasionally and was related to EVAP issues).

I bought a new canister from China for about $30 and problem solved. Cant recall the VW price but it was stupid expensive for what it is, so took a gamble on a Chinese canister and it worked fine for me.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I priced one from VW at $325 including the hose on top.
    Ali-Express has them without the hose for $59. Do I need to replace the hose too?
    Part number stamped on mine is 1K0 201 801 D but Ebay and Ali-express say it doesn't fit my vehicle. The picture does look the same as mine, except in how it mounts. This is very frustrating.

Users Country Flag
    As long as the part number is 1K0 201 801 then it will be fine. The letter on the end (in your case, the letter "D") is just a revision number for the part. So you will usually find a new part will end with E or F or H etc and that just means VW made some minor revision to the part.

Honestly I cannot remember if I changed the hose, but the canister is the main part you need to worry about. Unless the hose is cracked/damaged I would just leave it alone.

2nd hand genuine: VW GOLF MK5 MK6 JETTA PETROL POLLUTION CANISTER USED 1K0 201 801 D - Parts 4 European Cars

Ebay special basically same as i got: Charcoal Canister & Hose Set For VW Beetle Jetta Golf Rabbit EOS AUDI A3 | eBay
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Thanks
    MY08 Golf MkV GT-Sport

So my AliExpress charcoal cannister arrived yesterday and I fitted it last night. Good news it was the correct fit. Even better news, when I fitted the top rigid pipe to the white pipe near the brake fluid res, I noticed the white pipe was not clipped into it's holder. Now I have no CEL on dash and my constant rattle behind the dash has gone - Winning
    MY08 Golf MkV GT-Sport

Users Country Flag
    Good result
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

It seems I rejoiced too soon. The code returned. After finally finding where the N80 valve was on this motor I set to removing it to inspect/blow it out. It was then I discovered the power connector was missing. A previous owner/dodgey mechanic had replaced it with 2 spade connectors pushed onto the N80 pins and one of the wires had broken off. There's my open circuit right there. Off to the auto electrician to get it repaired peoperly. They said I needed to get the plug and then they would repair it for me. So I ordered one from VW (1J0973722) at $43. When it arrived, it doesn't come with pins(sockets)!! No part number listed for the pins. The mechanic and parts guy disappear into the workshop and come back with 2 wires with sockets on each end and fit them for me, and test fit on the vehicle. Great I said, until they hit me with another $56 for the cables!! I know I could have got one from ebay for $20 with wires attached, but I didn't want to wait 6 weeks to come from China or the UK. Hopefully the auto eleco can fit today, and all will be fixed.
    MY08 Golf MkV GT-Sport

New plug has fixed the CEL, yay. Now the bonnet release mechanism is seized, and the bonnet won't open I love this car. It just keeps fighting me
    MY08 Golf MkV GT-Sport