Support VWWC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Engineer's certificate for remap ?

Users Country Flag

An engineers certificate is required whenever you modify your car away from stock, there is question about if a set of coils technically requires a certificate, so is it really that suprising to hear that the emmissions side of the rules would also be checked?

The reality of anyone actually looking into these things is another thing entirely, although technically it's up to you to prove your car is ADR compliant if requested. So if your insurer has a chip listed on the policy then asks for an engineers certificate to prove it's ADR compliant before paying a claim...

Yeah, not a legal expert so I don't know how far that would actually go, but the real question is whats the reality of these things? Will they ask? If you are concerned about the risk, get an engineers certificate, problem solved.

There are lots of questions...
    * what about removing your rear wiper???
    * Different wipers? (Aero)
    * Different high flow exhaust (even without removing items)?
    * Different Steering wheel?
    * Different sized Wheels?
    * Different Head/tail lights?
    * Tinted Windows?

While the ADR lists limits for many things, like the colour and location of lights or emmission and sound levels for exhaust, moving away from factory spec on these things may require testing.

Does anyone know what the limit is before testing is required? Like no one cares if you legally tint your windows or put different wheels on the car, but where is the line where you *need* testing?

Technically the Tint place is supposed to only do legal things to road cars, as is the exhaust place, but who checks? (or better still, who is required to check?)

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by Logzy View Post
    To say a remap requires an engineers certificate without knowing the revised output figures is rubbish IMO.
    Hello Logzy, do you have any evidence to support this opinion ? My contact at ACT rego said it didn't matter whether power was increased by 50% or 5%, the change would still need to be certified. I had read somewhere about less than 20% power increases being subject to less stringent requirements, but that doesn't appear to be the case (not in the ACT, anyway).

On the responses so far it seems clear to me that most people are currently relying on the registration people not finding out they have been remapped (and I agree that at the moment it would seem to be pretty unlikely).

Being a decidedly risk averse sort of person (hence I'm asking about these issues BEFORE I get a remap), I'm interested in what can be done to improve performance and still remain legal, not what "you can probably get away with at the moment".

It would be interesting to see something substantive from remapping vendors (and their representatives) about the compliance (or non-compliance) with the relevant ADRs of their product/s (remaps, exhausts, intakes etc) .

I am genuinely interested in a remap for my 2.0 TFSI ( I Like the idea of more mid-range grunt plus a little more top end), but it is important to me to be 100% legal. For me, getting an engineer's certificate and doing emission tests 300Km from home would certainly add to the cost and complexity of getting a remap.

I thank everyone for remaining civil so far, and I hope this thread stays that way.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard View Post

How would a "working man" feel when his insurance claim is denied due to not forking out a couple of hundred for the certificate.
    "Technically" it's up to the insured party to tell their insurance company of any modifications made to the vehicle anyway, so if they hadn't and their insurance wiped them, then that's their bad luck, on the other hand if they did tell them and they requested an engineers certificate it would all be fine and legit wouldn't it, but I'm sure the insurance company could find a way around that !!!

A "working man" shouldn't be able to afford a flash anyway, it's for the pleasure of men who don't work..........
    If this is the case then anyone receiving the dole is obviously being paid too much money.......... or there are a lot of older gents out there wanting to be young again........

Russ
    Russ

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R Premium

We have been involved in the legalities & the government departs for 7 years, and its not clear cut.

As an importer / distributor / retailer of the products, (fully insured for everything we import) I can tell you that the "code of practice" does not cover "remapping". Nor does it technically cover enlarging the turbocharger of an already turbocharged car.

Now state by state enforcement of the rules is a different issue. Pretty much all that can be enforced are modifications that can be visually & audibly detected:

Exhausts - Noise & emissions - probably # 1 - they have methods for testing this, and there are more rules & states linked together for enforcement of this.

Intakes - Exposed pods - obviously a big nono in each state.

Front mount intercoolers - Mostly big, obvious exposed ones.

We have had meetings with the traffic enforcement branch (Police) in QLD regarding these matters, and our national organisation AAAA (www.aaaa.com.au) has run through all the possibilities for us - you could fill 50 pages of a forum thread regarding these matters.

My advice:

Purchase all your products through a fully licensed, fully insured operator.

If importing your own products - check the laws first (ignorance is not an excuse).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    From reading the NCOP document and discussions with the gentleman I mentioned above, it seems to me that without a certificate a remapped car is technically unroadworthy, with all the unpleasant ramifications of that unhappy state (legality, insurance). I don't think I'm comfortable with being unroadworthy, even if the chance of being found out is minimal.

Or have I misinterpreted something significant somewhere ?
    Haven't read all the replies so maybe this has been said......

A few years back I was doing similar research.

Technically, your car no longer complies if you carry out any changes to the operation of the engine that wasn't part of the manufacturers specification. Therefore any non-OEM exhaust or induction system will make your car non-compliant. So will changes to camshafts or other parts of the valvetrain. Any changes to compression, different turbos, etc. All non-compliant.

In practice, this isn't enforced, hence all the independent muffler shops, foam or cotton filters, the reasonably bouyant aftermarket scene & the proliferation of companies offereing remaps to anything from VWs to Holdens.

Personally, I think a remap would be the most stealth way to go unless the start doing emissions testing at the rego checks (and even then you can swap back to standard).
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Being a decidedly risk averse sort of person (hence I'm asking about these issues BEFORE I get a remap), I'm interested in what can be done to improve performance and still remain legal, not what "you can probably get away with at the moment".

I am genuinely interested in a remap for my 2.0 TFSI ( I Like the idea of more mid-range grunt plus a little more top end), but it is important to me to be 100% legal. For me, getting an engineer's certificate and doing emission tests 300Km from home would certainly add to the cost and complexity of getting a remap.

I thank everyone for remaining civil so far, and I hope this thread stays that way.
    I think if your risk averse then you're best to leave it alone or you will worry all the time.

I was surprised at the number of people that got stuck into me when I had the windows on my car tinted darker than legal. Apparently it was worse than buggering the bursar. Never mind the fact that my previous car had a similar tint for the preceding 4 years without issue.

If you really want to improve performance then the first thing to do is a couple of advanced driving courses and some track days - sharpens the driving skills up real well & fun as well.

Then look at some suspension or brake improvements.

I mean, seriously, how often do you use full throttle & take full advantage of the full rev range? The increase in fuel consumption will still be way less than the cost of a remap.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Logzy Guest
    Hello Logzy, do you have any evidence to support this opinion ? ..........
    IMO = In My Opinion ,hence no evidence just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I was surprised at the number of people that got stuck into me when I had the windows on my car tinted darker than legal. Apparently it was worse than buggering the bursar. Never mind the fact that my previous car had a similar tint for the preceding 4 years without issue.
    The tint thing is pretty obvious however and if you have an accident and especially if it's at night either the police or your insurance company will pick that up. And if they can get away without paying they will.

As for engine remaps requiring an engineers certificate well IMO it's a load of bs, the states would be better off spending their time and energy towards getting unlicensed drivers and unregistered cars off the road as this would at least do something about the road toll and the cost to the drivers who pay insurance and registration.

Users Country Flag
    Ya bunch of nancy's!

If you're worried, then follow the rules and do what the man behind the desk says. Simple!

My 0.02c is that I can drive around pretty spritely in a Golf, and the cops hardly seem to care. In my prior FPV GT, I was being tailed, pulled over, and all manner of things "checked", a bit too regularily, for no real reason at all.

I think we're all pretty safe, and Greggo, I hate to say it, but I reckon you've little chance for being labelled as a possible hoon in a ...Skoda wagon!
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

I was talking to a person in ACT registration about remapping an engine ECU (for more power and torque). His job is to deal with "technical" issues relating to roadworthiness and registration, so he's not an ignorant help desk person that doesn't know the regulations.

He was adamant that for any recently manufactured cars to remain legally registered, the owner would need to get an engineer's certificate stating that after the modification the car still complied with all relevant ADRs.

As well as an assessment of braking and handling capability, this would include passing the "IM240" emissions test (apparantly done with a warm engine to a set pattern on a dyno, and not available in Canberra).

He further said that a type or generic approval was not acceptable, and that the certification and testing had to be done on my individual vehicle after the modification.

Do other states have this requirement ? He said it was part of the "National Code Of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP)" and that all states were (or should be) adopting this.

page 29 of VSB 14 on the following link gives more details http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...tin/index.aspx

He (and other state registration authorities) are quite aware that many people are remapping for more power, but at the moment detection and enforcement is not a high priority for them. He expects that if there are some high speed crashes of remapped cars it will suddenly become a political priority and they will clamp down on the practice.

Has anyone actually bothered to get an engineer's certificate for a remap ?

From reading the NCOP document and discussions with the gentleman I mentioned above, it seems to me that without a certificate a remapped car is technically unroadworthy, with all the unpleasant ramifications of that unhappy state (legality, insurance). I don't think I'm comfortable with being unroadworthy, even if the chance of being found out is minimal.

Or have I misinterpreted something significant somewhere ?
    Sorry mate buts thats Horse ****!!! not true.

to modify your car to the point that you need engineers certification is extensive mods. A remmaped ECU does not require any certification. Otherwise any every man and his dog with a boost controller in his turbo, nissan, subaru or any other car would require it.

tell the guys to check his facts before he fills your ears with horse ****

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast