Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine cover grommets

Even more? VW are just taking the mickey.

I'm surprised VW continued with the design for the new generation.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag

Semi-related to engine cover grommets:
    Our '09 Pacific TDI (215,000ks), engine cover just wore a tiny hole through one of the three, thin aluminium lines that carry coolant across the top of the engine.
    Was halfway between Sydney and Newcastle in peak hour towing a boat. Perfect.
    With lots of top-ups, we limped over the line.
    The local dealers fixed it, $275.00 for the set of three lines, no charge to fit. Thx VW Classic.

However the car was returned with the engine cover in the boot.
    When I asked they said, as that caused the problem, you should leave it off.

Seeing some crumbling rubber last night, I looked under our '08 Skoda 1.9TDI's engine cover and noticed there was a circle of foam rubber between engine and the cover which was in the process of de-naturing.

Closer inspection of the Golf showed remnants of the same rubber stuck inside the 2.0L's cover.

I presume I can buy a couple of replacement rubbers, but have no idea what that part would be called, or its number if it has one.

I would suggest that all TDI engine covers should be lifted, regardless of risk to the grommets, and checked for this fault around the ten year / 200,000k mark.
    MY09 Golf Candy White 2.0 TDI Pacific
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12