Support VWWC

Thread: EGR Valve

Users Country Flag

EGR Valve

Ladies and Gents,

As promised in the intro thread, i'm here for your sage wisdom.

Car is a Mk5 2.0 TDi with the BKD engine.

Scenario is - i had removed the EGR valve for a cleanup, and when i replaced it the car wouldnt run at anything more than idle.

On the driveway, at part throttle it would cough and splutter, and driving would run on one cylinder and smoke like yul brynner.

Disconnecting the EGR valve on the driveway it ran fine at part throttle.

So, I'd figured i'd buggered up the EGR valve during cleaning. New EGR valve goes on.

No change to the running at all.

As a matter of fact, on the road, with EGR valve disconnected from the vacuum hose, the car struggled to hit 60 KM/H. Full throttle kicked it down a gear, it revved happily, but no power.

I SUSPECT that when I did the EGR valve replacement I'd just missed plugging something back in, or had inadvertently unplugged something while swinging spanners around in there. But I can't see anything obvious.

I doubt it's the vacuum servo block cr@pping out, because it would be too much of a coincidence.

Thoughts?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Stop looking, i've found it,

Charge pipe under the motor that I disconnected looking for oil drips didnt get reconnected properly.

D'Oh! At least now we have a spare EGR valve I guess.

Next question - are these engines ALWAYS this drippy?

Quote Originally Posted by batso View Post
    are these engines ALWAYS this drippy?
    I also have the BKD engine & have also replaced the EGR valve. Mine also ran
    without any power so I pulled the bonnet while on the side of the road & found the pipe
    to the valve had not been connected properly. Once I had reclipped it together it ran
    like it should.
    If you are talking about oil in the intake, yes there was in mine.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels