Thread: Drivers Side Mirror Indicator not working

Drivers Side Mirror Indicator not working

Hi All

Having issues with my drivers side mirror indicator not working for some odd reason. I've tried replacing the housing with a known working unit, and have also confirmed that there is no fault with the LED as they light up with an external battery.

There doesn't appear to be 12v being delivered to the wiring according to a multimeter, I've stripped my door skin apart to inspect and repair any exposed wires on the door wiring harness.

I've been digging around, another suspect may be the window control module. There seem to be a couple on eBay however is not the exact model of what I have. Problem is that I do not have a vag-com to do any form of reprogramming / coding. Can someone confirm if I need coding done if I get a unit with the exact model number, or one that is slightly newer (eg mines a G, I've seen K units for sale on ebay for relatively cheap).

Or has anyone else had the same issue and can point me in the right direction to diag?

Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    I would be looking at the wiring between the car and the door, the wires break in the weather boot due to being flexed whenever you open or close the door.

Users Country Flag
    It might be wiring. Mine was the same. A quick 10 minute fix of a broken wire and BOOM! It all worked again. I did read that Germany back in the day was an early adopter of biodegradable wiring insulation regulation, resulting in some German cars suffering common wiring issues. Merecedes was especially prone apparently.
    Last edited by davidorama; 27-09-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    2005 VW Golf 5 2.0 FSI Comfortline Sports Automatic

I had an issue where the indicator wasn't working. Ended up replacing the indicator switch and it was good

Biodegradable insulation is the nice way to put it!
    Yes I would be going straight to the wiring harness between the door and the body. Pull back the rubber boot and unwrap that horrendous sticky black cloth tape.
    Doing a scan with VCDS will save any guessing

If anyone experience the same issue as I have, for me at least was the door control module. Ended up picking up a second on eBay (sent internationally) with the exact same module number. Swapped out, no coding required.