Support VWWC

Thread: Dragging the front air dam

Dragging the front air dam

Driving back from the shops on the weekend there was a terrible noise from the front of the car. I pulled over and the front air dam (not sure what else to call it - basically the black plastic part at the front of the car nearest to the ground on a Mk V GTI) was bent back under the car - I had to jack one of the wheels to pull it out! Managed to kind of fix it back into shape but it's only time before it goes again, most of the retaining clips were broken / bent.

We've got some nasty dips near our house that it scrapes on and my guess is these have taken their toll, especially when my wife drives . Just wondering whether anyone else has had the same experience (a quick search didn't pull up much) and what they did to fix it. I'm guessing a trip to VW is the only solution and I've no idea what this will cost, I'll phone them tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by flit156 View Post
    I'm guessing a trip to VW is the only solution and I've no idea what this will cost, I'll phone them tomorrow.
    Replacement part is around $100 and they should have one in stock.

I was quoted $149.65 (GST included) for that part (V1K0805903H9B9) last year if that's any help to you.
    2007 Golf GT | DSG | TR | roof | iPod rubbish | R line fog grilles | R satin mirror caps | R pedals | R console trim | colour coded GTI valences | R32 Ormanyts

I've caught it a couple of times on the concrete parking stops in car parks.

I've never pulled it under the car yet. Just dislodge the front clips. It's a bit banged up but still holding in there. I'm just glad it is not painted body work.

Users Country Flag
    Is that known as a chin spoiler? $150 is not cheap, but not extortion either given our exchange rate.

Considered taking the spoiler off if you have so many places to nudge it? I have never seen a GTI without it. Looks wise is it acceptable?
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

It doesn't look great, I'll replace it and try and persuade the wife to be more careful. Thanks for the help, less than 200 I can stomach.

One other question, the screws it's held on with are neither flat-head or philips, they're maybe hexonal or something, is this a VW only tool or are they available down bunnings?

Quote Originally Posted by flit156 View Post
    It doesn't look great, I'll replace it and try and persuade the wife to be more careful. Thanks for the help, less than 200 I can stomach.

One other question, the screws it's held on with are neither flat-head or philips, they're maybe hexonal or something, is this a VW only tool or are they available down bunnings?
    Bunnings.

Torx drivers
    Prev 2008 R32 3 door DSG.
    Prev 2010 S3 Sportback Stronic.
    Now Lexus IS350 F Sport

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bazzle View Post
    Bunnings.
    Torx drivers
    Ageed. Dunno about other manufacturers but VW are obsessed with these. I've got 22 to remove my front bumper and undertray alone (plus two nuts). Add another 10 to this if I want to detach the undertray and lip from the bumper as well.
    I picked up a nice little Stanley swiss army knife type set of torx drivers which are handy for keeping in your glovebox or with the other tools in the boot. Only about twenty odd dollars from memory.
    Cheers,
    Trent

2010 Renault Clio RenaultSPORT 200 Cup 20th Anniversary Edition - #19 of 30 - The French Connection...
    2004 Volkswagen Golf R32 MkIV - #044 of 200 - Gone But Not Forgotten...
    "Racing is life; Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen -=-=- "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Unknown