Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPF on Mk5 Golf

Users Country Flag

DPF on Mk5 Golf

Hi,

I have a golf MK5 2.0 TDI Pacific, manufactured in 2008 in South Africa and was wondering about the DPF, does it ever need emptying or does it automatically clean itself?

The reason i am asking is because my friend has a Ford Focus and the DPF got filled up and had to be emptied which wasnt cheap, the guy in the garage said its because they dont drive it over 40mph enough to burn the particles away.

Is this an issue that will affect my car as well?

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    are you sure it has a dpf fitted?
    MKV Sportsline Soot Belcher
    MKV Jetta FSI DSG

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I'm not sure tbh...
    I read something the other day that mentioned anything build after 2006 or 2007 had them, but then I've just read something similar that said that was only in Europe and export models weren't as strict.

Is there an easy way to check? I dont know much about cars so are they easy to spot?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downthedrain View Post
    I'm not sure tbh...
    I read something the other day that mentioned anything build after 2006 or 2007 had them, but then I've just read something similar that said that was only in Europe and export models weren't as strict.

Is there an easy way to check? I dont know much about cars so are they easy to spot?

Thanks
    I just purchased a 2008 TDI pacific as well. I had a look at the exhaust, just behind the turbo and it looks to be a big 'resonator' which could be a DPF? I have read that the only MK5's that were fitted with a DPF were the 125KW engine (GT Sport and Passat).

I could be wrong?

Users Country Flag
    I know the 1.9TDI in the MK5 Golf did not have a DPF.

As for the 103kw TDI in the Mk5 Golf im not sure.

But i have heard others talking previously about the GT 125kw model and that it definitely does have a DPF.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    When you go on the highway, put the gearbox into manual mode and have the engine revs at ~3500rpm+. Stay on that for about 20 mins. You want to get a lot of heat and gas velocity through the exhaust. Do it monthly
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Looks to be on mine. I’ll try and get a picture. Maybe it’s a turbo muffler?

As for clearing it - is cruising at low revs not clearing it out? Like at 80 km/h?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by epidemic View Post
    Looks to be on mine. I’ll try and get a picture. Maybe it’s a turbo muffler?

As for clearing it - is cruising at low revs not clearing it out? Like at 80 km/h?
    If your car does indeed have a DPF, do yourself a favour, buy a Carista dongle ($40) and buy an app called VAGDPF (android only) and you can then monitor how full your DPF is and when it does a clean.

I recently discovered the VAGDPF app and have been using it for the past few months with my TDI vehicle and its great.

Carista OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Customiser for Android and iOS – AutoInstruct

VAG DPF – Apps on Google Play
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Also see this thread for pics of the VAGDPF app VAG DPF app on Android to monitor DPF
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    If your car does indeed have a DPF, do yourself a favour, buy a Carista dongle ($40) and buy an app called VAGDPF (android only) and you can then monitor how full your DPF is and when it does a clean.

I recently discovered the VAGDPF app and have been using it for the past few months with my TDI vehicle and its great.

Carista OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Customiser for Android and iOS – AutoInstruct

VAG DPF – Apps on Google Play
    Thanks Lucas will do. I have a Joying andriod headunit on order now. I will be getting an ODB bluetooth tool for sure.

From doing some reading, perhaps my car does not have a DPF. It is a BKD TDI (08 Pacific TDI 103kw). The big ball right behind the turbo - i don't know what that is...

My car doesn't seem to blow any exhaust which i suspect is a good thing if i dont have DPF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast