Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door Panel Popper - Any Suggestions?

Users Country Flag

Door Panel Popper - Any Suggestions?

Removing front inside door panel (door card). All okay so far removing four screws (two hidden behind pop-off trim panel on armrest), but the tool I have to pop the door pane just flexes and just won't budge the clips! The panel has 6 decent sized interior clips holding it on now (panel never removed before). I'm trying to use a fairly cheap Toldeo tool (thin metal and boomerang-shaped) that slides over the interior clips (along with a torch to see through the gap and see the clips) - the tool just flexes though - doesn't seem to be up to it!

The car is a 2009 Passat CC (assuming fairly similar to Mk5 Golf; CC forum not frequented by many).

Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific tool/s?

Users Country Flag
    I removed the door trims on my Mk6 Golf several times to replace speakers and never had any issues getting the clips out (although they are brittle and some broke and had to be replaced). I used the standard plastic/nylon trim removal tools

Gives its winter time and they are cold and hard, can you try putting some warmth on them with a heatgun or hairdryer to soften them up which might help them pop out.

See links to the tools below. I just used the Kincrome tools when I did my speakers. But I have since purchased the metal Toledo tool which has some more strength and leverage to it.

Kincrome Trim Remover Set 5 Piece | Supercheap Auto

Toledo Trim Removal Set 2 Piece | Supercheap Auto
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Okay, this is what I have:

https://www.repco.com.au/en/tools-eq...ch=trim%20tool

Levering the inside door panel with a thin electricians screwdriver (has a thin plastic sleeve on the shaft so won't damage the door/panel) then using a torch to find the clip and sliding the wide end of this tool over it. When I apply prsessure the tool flexes and then springs out. Just won't budge the clip (trying on the bottom two of the six in total). Might need that screwdriver-like popper tool you've shown - looks more sturdy and won't flex!

Thanks for that! Seen a lot of these on aliexpress for $3-$4, but might buy local from Supercheap or Repco.

Users Country Flag
    The B7 Passat has a plug right in the centre of the door so I presume yours may also have it. I couldnt get one of those tools in far enough so I used a long heavy screwdriver in beside it and twisted it to pop it off

If you break any you can buy them on ALIExpress for about $4 for 10. You also have to pop them up so the outside is right up against the little bulb at the end before you put them back or they wont go in the hole.. Ask me how I know. Put the fork shaped tool in under the THIN washer and lever the whole thing up the centre shaft

This might help you sort through it However the plug i found isnt shown but was there on both front doors

Polo Manual – Google Drive

Polo Passat and MK 6 Golf are all in that folder Have fun
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I'm using this video as a guide:

How to remove the front door panel Volkswagen Passat CC - YouTube

I have a 2009 VW Passat CC - I'm doing the driver's door, whereas here it shows the front passenger door (LHD).

I removed two T20 screws on the underside of the panel and two T30 screws hidden in the armrest - exactly as shown on the attached video. Also removed the electric window control panel and the small plastic rivet (shown in this video), and now onto the six interior clips (three down each side). This Russian bloke in the video uses hard plastic pry tools to remove the interior clips. Might try a fourth time, otherwise will have to buy one of the screwdriver style door panel poppers or something that doesn't flex - the thin metal tool I have just flexes and then springs off - just won't pop any of the clips!

Just wondering if there is another screw/screws hidden somewhere - maybe behind the brushed aluminium strip up towards the window???

Thanks for your help so far!
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 21-07-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Okay, thanks Lucas_R - may get the metal Toledo tool. I have that other metal Toledo tool, but it doesn't seem to have the strength or leverage - better suited to the more easy stuff. Maybe a hard plastic would also do the trick as shown in the video I found).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    Okay, thanks Lucas_R - may get the metal Toledo tool. I have that other metal Toledo tool, but it doesn't seem to have the strength or leverage - better suited to the more easy stuff. Maybe a hard plastic would also do the trick as shown in the video I found).
    Yeah that one you linked to above looks quite weak and it would flex/bend easily. I have never seen one like that before. It might work well in some instances but I dont think its the right tool for this job.

Just grab one of those tools I linked to above - otherwise you will be waiting a month for stuff to ship from Aliexpress.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks Hillbilly!

Yeah, you're right - the tool I have is not really made for the stronger clips on the door panels - it just bends, only good for those little plastic exterior clips! I've stuffed things up in the past by using a tool that wasn't suited for the job! Will get one from Supercheap - give myself a good chance by using a better-suited tool!

Just hope there isn't some other hidden screw/s - don't think so! So many variations with VW doors between models and years!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    I'm using this video as a guide:

How to remove the front door panel Volkswagen Passat CC - YouTube

I have a 2009 VW Passat CC - I'm doing the driver's door, whereas here it shows the front passenger door (LHD).

I removed two T20 screws on the underside of the panel and two T30 screws hidden in the armrest - exactly as shown on the attached video. Also removed the electric window control panel and the small plastic rivet (shown in this video), and now onto the six interior clips (three down each side). This Russian bloke in the video uses hard plastic pry tools to remove the interior clips. Might try a fourth time, otherwise will have to buy one of the screwdriver style door panel poppers or something that doesn't flex - the thin metal tool I have just flexes and then springs off - just won't pop any of the clips!

Just wondering if there is another screw/screws hidden somewhere - maybe behind the brushed aluminium strip up towards the window???

Thanks for your help so far!
    There is a plug that sits in a vertical groove up hear the top and after you get all the others loose you have to pull the card vertically to get that one out and then card comes off.

I had trouble getting the Tiguan ones to pop and got a piece of metal bar 45 x5mm and slid that in by each one and popped them off
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 21-07-2021 at 05:43 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast