Support VWWC

Thread: Do I need a CAN BUS gateway for '07 Golf head unit upgrade?

Users Country Flag

Do I need a CAN BUS gateway for '07 Golf head unit upgrade?

Hi all, I've just purchased a 2007 Golf GT Sport. Before being written off, my 2009 Golf GT Sport had a head unit with navigation and Bluetooth, and although I was curious about upgrading, I didn't bother with it. This time I don't have Bluetooth and would like to upgrade to a newer head unit like the popular RCD330 Plus (NONAME 6RF 035 187F RCD330 Plus Android Auto Carplay R340G RCD 330 RCD330G Carplay For VW Tiguan Golf 5 6 MK5 MK6 Passat Polo|Car Radios| - AliExpress) or something from AA Auto Parts in Box Hill, VIC (I'm in Sydney). After doing an awful lot of digging, it seems as though it's straightforward enough to actually replace the head unit - but I'm stuck on wether or not I need to code a new CAN BUS gateway to avoid battery drain issues, and as to what part I need to purchase. I have no clue what I'm doing with recoding the thing either.

So, is anyone here able to assist? Do I need to actually pick up a particular part? AA Auto Parts have emailed saying the steerig wheel adapter does the same job. I'm really confused. Thank you in advance.

Users Country Flag

The steering wheel adapter does the same job.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500