Thread: Did I get scammed?

Did I get scammed?

Hi all,

I’ve become a bit overwhelmed as I suspect information was concealed to me a few months ago when purchasing a 2007 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2.0. I really wish I had the VCDS before I purchase the vehicle but I wasn’t able to at the time nor did I really know about it’s capabilities. I purchased it for other reasons.

Basically, I plugged in my VCDS and did selected ‘Auto-scan’ and the KM’s came back with what’s reflected on the cluster: 118,000km’s. Now, I stumbled across an application accidentally and commenced the ‘ECU mileage check’ and I was taken back by the difference shown...

Mileage Rollback Found? - Album on Imgur

I hope I’m wrong or I’ve done something wrong to check this accurately. I just feel really disappointed and upset at this point in time. Is there anything I can do?

Users Country Flag
    Looks like its had a cluster from a lower k's car and not been fully integrated into the car.

The last three lines in your VCDS scan do NOT indicate whats happened .

They are descriptions of what "could" cause discrepancies
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Yeah, that makes sense. I don’t know why it was made easy for this to occur. It didn’t cross my mind at the time.

Users Country Flag
    Does the car have a service history ?
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Righteousness View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense. I don’t know why it was made easy for this to occur. It didn’t cross my mind at the time.
    Not hard I bought a motorbike with low K's and then found out it had had a ding and a new gauge was put in with a lot less K's on it. I got a partial refund,

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    Does the car have a service history ?
    According to the other forum he posts on NO

1.9TDI 2011 ECU was installed. Confirmed by removing ecu to inspect the date. ECU MK5 Jetta - Album on Imgur

Quote Originally Posted by Righteousness View Post
    1.9TDI 2011 ECU was installed. Confirmed by removing ecu to inspect the date. ECU MK5 Jetta - Album on Imgur
    The wording is somewhat confusing:-

"The mileage was independently calculated in the ECU by integrating vehicle speed".

Does this mean the ECU is recording and storing distance travelled independently of the odometer? If that is the case and the mileage is calculated in the ECU that replaced the original ECU would that not indicate that the replacement ECU came from a vehicle with higher mileage?
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by VW Convert View Post
    The wording is somewhat confusing:-

"The mileage was independently calculated in the ECU by integrating vehicle speed".

Does this mean the ECU is recording and storing distance travelled independently of the odometer? If that is the case and the mileage is calculated in the ECU that replaced the original ECU would that not indicate that the replacement ECU came from a vehicle with higher mileage?
    The ECU installed in my 2007 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2.0 is labelled for a 1.9TDI 2011 (any model variant, not sure). This is obviously not a 1.9TDI and the manufacturing date of the ECU is 2011. The car either had an issue with its previous ECU, swapped out for another Jetta or it was diagnosing a hot start issue but failed to solve it.