Thread: Check coolant wanring light?

Users Country Flag

Check coolant wanring light?

Hi,

For the last three mornings when I've started my Golf first thing in the morning I have got a warning light and sound that says "STOP. Check Coolant".

I have checked the coolant and the level appears to be fine.

If I turn the engine off and start it again I get no warning, nor at any other time during day day when driving or restarting. It only seems to be first thing in the morning. The mornings here have been cool/mild, but not cold.

Any suggestions as to what might be up before I take it to a mechanic?

Cheers
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

Users Country Flag
    Grab a big flat head driver and scrape both electrodes in the coolant bottle. Problem fixed.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by mythik View Post
    Grab a big flat head driver and scrape both electrodes in the coolant bottle. Problem fixed.
    That I will do. Thanks! Good to know it's nothing to worry about.

Cheers
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!

is the level on the lower side of the normal marks???
    It may just require a little top up to get it off the sensor.. I had this ages ago in my Polo and the warning came on before it was actually under the mark on the bottle... a top up cleared the warning light on the dash.
    hth
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

Users Country Flag
    The reservoir acts as an expansion tank as the vehicle heats up your level may go up slightly that's possibly why the stop light is out throughout the day check the level in the morning and top up if necessary. If problem still exists new reservoir will be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks folks.

The level appeared to be normal but may be a little towards the 'min' mark. I'll try topping it up first then see what happens. A new reservoir sounds like a pain but I have an extended warranty that should cover it - but that is a pain, too.

---------- Post added 13-01-2012 at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-01-2012 at 05:46 PM ----------

Double checked the coolant level this morning before I started the engine - if anything it might be a liitle on the high side as it seemed to be above the two min/max marks. Still got the warning on first start up though.

May be the electrodes and/or the overflow tank itself?? Either way it doesn't seem too super urgent, but please correct be if I'm wrong.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by greasykitchen View Post
    Thanks folks.

The level appeared to be normal but may be a little towards the 'min' mark. I'll try topping it up first then see what happens. A new reservoir sounds like a pain but I have an extended warranty that should cover it - but that is a pain, too.

---------- Post added 13-01-2012 at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-01-2012 at 05:46 PM ----------

Double checked the coolant level this morning before I started the engine - if anything it might be a liitle on the high side as it seemed to be above the two min/max marks. Still got the warning on first start up though.

May be the electrodes and/or the overflow tank itself?? Either way it doesn't seem too super urgent, but please correct be if I'm wrong.
    This sounds very similar to the issue I had with the Jetta.

The fault was detected to the in built sensor in the expansion tank (supposedly - relying on the dealership). Anyway it was replaced. The part was about $38. The labour to rmove and replace plus addt coolant a blatant ripoff.
    BeigeJet
    White MY23 Tiguan 147 TDI Elegance (mine)
    White MY21 Tiguan 147 TDI Elegance (wife)
    Gone - Wheat Beige MY07 Jetta TDI manual

Yesterday I started it for the first time for the day in the late afternoon and I didn't get the warning. It may have something to do with the lower ambient temp in the mornings? Not that it's really been that cold.

I'll be taking the car to the local (non-dealer) VW place (literally just around the corner from me) soon to get it checked and have a once over before I move to Melb. If it's just a $30-40 sensor I'm not too worried.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!

Update: The past week or so I haven't got the warning. No error code showed up either when scanned last week. Topped it up with a bit of water as well just in case. I might get the mechanic to look at the electrodes/sensors while it's getting other stuff done this week.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!