Support VWWC

Thread: car won’t start in the summer

Users Country Flag

car won’t start in the summer

It’s my first post so I hope I do it right. I have a problem with my 2l tdi bkd. Basically, when outside temperature is under 20C the car starts without any problems but if temperature is above that ,car won’t start. ( I’m talking when engine warms up ). In summer as soon as engine warms up and i switch it off it doesn’t restart. Glow plugs and engine lights don’t come up until I open the bonnet and leave it open for about a minute than I can start again. I must point out again that in winter I have no problems at all when highest outside temps are around 17C. But ,again , in summer If I park in the shade it starts ok but if I leave in the sun it doesn’t. This is my fourth Golf but I have never seen anything like this. I have changed the coolant sensor but that didn’t help so I’m wandering why is outside temperature affecting the car start. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana63 View Post
    It’s my first post so I hope I do it right. I have a problem with my 2l tdi bkd. Basically, when outside temperature is under 20C the car starts without any problems but if temperature is above that ,car won’t start. ( I’m talking when engine warms up ). In summer as soon as engine warms up and i switch it off it doesn’t restart. Glow plugs and engine lights don’t come up until I open the bonnet and leave it open for about a minute than I can start again. I must point out again that in winter I have no problems at all when highest outside temps are around 17C. But ,again , in summer If I park in the shade it starts ok but if I leave in the sun it doesn’t. This is my fourth Golf but I have never seen anything like this. I have changed the coolant sensor but that didn’t help so I’m wandering why is outside temperature affecting the car start. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
    Had similar experience.
    When cold engine will crank and fire up , no issues , take it for a drive or 30 mins , stop , then go back to car with in say 10 minutes
    and engine cranks but will not fire.

Ive actually had this issue since almost new but it only ever done it every 6 to 12 months , didnt really do anything about it.
    Mine is MY08 , so I had battery changed about 2 years ago and still did same thing.
    The last 6 months it has developed to do it all the time while the engine is hot, you could sit there and just crank and not fire.
    I learnt quickly if you keep pumping accelerator or hold it flat to the floor it would fire up but even this technique was starting
    to fail.
    I even had the crank angle sensor replaced which did absolutely noting.
    The way it sounded when cranking to me suggested slow crank so either battery or starter motor.
    So was time to take to VW dealer to diagnose , They put it down to bad battery but it was only two years old , I asked them
    to use power pack to help jump start and still had trouble firing , so we concluded starter.

Booked in , around $550 for starter and $150 for labour , searched internet, starters way cheaper but just didnt have the time
    to deal with it , so now have new starter and you can clearly hear the difference with faster crank and firing up.

All cranking when hot now solved.
    Last edited by neil; 19-09-2019 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I have done some research into this and lot of it points to starter motor which seems to be a common fault in these cars. However, what’s confusing to me is that in winter even when engine is hot car starts without any problems. But, last Thursday we had 28C day and I left the car in the sun for most of the day and the car wouldn’t start. I opened the bonnet and engine was cold but the battery negative connection was corroded. So it could be just a battery or it could be 10 other things. Anyway, I have a mechanic coming to have a look and hopefully we’ll find the solution but I think I’ll start like you did as I definitely need a new battery. Thanks again for your reply and if I find the solution I’ll post it.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Well, I’m completely lost on this one. I have put in a new battery, changed the starter motor and glow plug relay, temperature sensor and none of it made any difference. When it’s hot glow plug and engine light don’t come on at all. Sometimes if I keep turning the key on and off the lights will eventually come on and I can start the car. Even my mechanic can’t figure this one out. If any of you guys had a similar experience I would like to hear from you.

Users Country Flag
    Ignition switch worn out
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

I think I'd rather pay a decent mechanic to do some diagnosis rather than fire the parts cannon at it
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums