Support VWWC

Thread: Brother/Sister for my T-Cross

Users Country Flag

Cool Brother/Sister for my T-Cross

I'm looking for a second car and have come across a 2006 MY 2007 Golf Comfortline with the 1.6lt petrol and auto. It has 170K on the clock, bit dirty and worn on the inside with some upholstery required on the drivers seat. Any thing to watch out for, what's their record like? I assume it's the DQ200-should the problems have been rectified at that kilometreage? Outside it looks OK, in white with the standard curbed wheels.

I would appreciate any advice. I'm not in love with it, but it may be a handy vehicle.

Cheers-John

Users Country Flag
    It has a 6spd Tiptronic proper auto, John. No DSG in that luckily. You will need to check the service history as that box whilst long lived, would have needed a service by now.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for that Sharkie-much appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    The tiptronic auto gearboxes in the lower spec Mk5's are pretty notorious for issues with the soleniods sticking and causing issues changing gears so just keep that in mind if buying one. It would be a good idea to get the gearbox serviced for piece of mind as it may have never been done.

Otherwise the engines are overall very reliable but underpowered.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks Lucas. All good tips. Cheers-John

Users Country Flag
    If the budget allows, try to find a 2.0FSI model which will have a good 20% more power.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Cheers Lucas.

Users Country Flag
    A tip for the Tiptronic 6 speed autos
    Make sure you see the car when it is cold, as in not started since previous day.
    The cold start engine shudders and gearbox issues are most evident when stone cold.
    If the engine idles at 900rpm then it is not cold, it should sit at 1100 - 1200 rpm then drop to 900 after about 40seconds.
    If it is cold then get it into gear and drive it conservatively to see how the gears change. Slow smooth acceleration will show the most notable rough gear changes. Once they warm up things can be silky smooth, as the solenoids are not sticking anymore.
    Rough engine idle when cold is probably carbon build up in the FSI due to direct injection.

@Lucas, what is the servicing you mention? just the oil and filter change at 60k ? Does this fix the solenoid issues ?
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    @Lucas, what is the servicing you mention? just the oil and filter change at 60k ? Does this fix the solenoid issues ?
    Yep just a basic transmission service (oil and filter) as it surely wont do any harm and may help to prevent any transmission related issues. If its never been done before then the oil is 15 years old approx and will not be in the best condition.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST