Thread: Battery drain issue - Shifter / Sunroof / Light Switch stays on

Battery drain issue - Shifter / Sunroof / Light Switch stays on

Hi all

Having battery drain issues with the MK5 GTI here. I haven't driven it much in the past few months since I've mainly been WFH, however am required to drop the little one off at school now since they are back 5 days a week.

I haven't had too much success with starting it in the past few mornings, and if it does; takes quite a bit effort/cranking. I've been using a CTEK MXS 5.0 to charge it during mornings/afternoons and unplug it before I finish up work in the evening, charger always implies that the battery is fully charged.

What I've noticed so far is that the shifter, sunroof background lighting and light switch stays lit, which I believe may be causing the drain.

Has anyone experienced similar faults, or can provide insight on how to look into this further?

Many thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag
    Are any of your other interior lights staying on? Does the door indicator on the dash work properly when the drivers door is opened/closed, especially when you lock the car?

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge
    .:Mk5 R32

Quote Originally Posted by sebas_thefish View Post
    Are any of your other interior lights staying on? Does the door indicator on the dash work properly when the drivers door is opened/closed, especially when you lock the car?

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge
    No other interior lights stay on. Door indicators work fine, have checked the drivers door wiring harness and can't see any obvious break.

Something to note is that I've recently had issues with my license plate lights where the wiring wasn't delivering adequate voltage to the holders. An auto electrician has piggy backed the holders onto the tail light with a resistor to avoid canbus errors.

I have seen the switch in the roof console for the interior lights melt internally which caused it to be stuck in the on position.

The electrics in these are rubbish - the fuses also have tendency to have poor contact in the fuse box and melt and the insulation on the wires is so stiff it just snaps and causes shorts/breaks. There is 3 tail lights on each side one is also shared with the Brake light - I hope he got the right one :0