Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aircon craped itself

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    So Guys this seems to be an on going problem.
    Has this been fixed with the newer models.
    What age vehicles are you all driving?.
    Mines Jan 2005 Build....

I read somewhere they had changed the compressor manufacturer in later models but not sure how true it is...
    1986 MkII Golf GTI 16V (Sold), 2005 MkV Golf GTI (Sold), 2007 Polo GTI (Sold), 2011 Polo 66TDI (Selling), 2012 Passat 125 TDI Bluemotion, 2013 Scirocco R (Due October!)

Mines a 2007 build. Had the compressor replaced late last year-also keen to know the new compressor won't crap itself as well!
    2007 Mk V Golf GTI, Shadow Blue, Leather Latte Macchiato,DSG,Xenon Headlights

same thing just happened to me.......had car on the road for 10 days (purchased on 11 Mar 0..GOLF GTI MY08...10 days later air con died! (and I live in Townsville!)....dropped car in Saturday..car looked at Monday..three days to get parts to Townsville...then Easter long weekend...still no car!!! Finally got it back 10 days later!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Good news the car goes in tomorrow to get the bloody aircon fixed. When they phoned to say they had the parts in and could do the job in two days time, I was as happy as a pig in Sh-- . I asked for a loner for the two days they will have the car and was told that they could not do this for three weeks as they only have three.... Bu----. After telling the lovely lady, that called, what I thought about that idea I asked to be transfered to Robert ( The Boss ) VW new car sales and asked if he could lend me a demo or something. No problems says Robert. Gotta love his work. So can get my beast fixed ASAP. I asked for a R32 but none available.... maybe I can get a V10 "toerag" me thinks HaHa. I dont really care anyway at least I"II have may cay back by the weekend. Cant give enough praise for Robert Highway VW springwood and a nice guy as well.
    Last edited by Bing56; 01-04-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by golfworx View Post
    Don't worry, your not alone with this problem.

Mk5 A/C Compressor's s@#tting themselves are as common as the sun coming up in the morning & going down at night!

The normal procedure is to degas the sytem, remove the TX Valve & fit a modified one with the gut's taken out of it & flush the entire A/C system.
    Then replace the Compressor, Condensor(Receiver dryer is part of the Condensor on Mk5's), Then replace the TX Valve, regas & check.

The compressor are a very poorly designed unit thats for sure.

The replacement ones are superseeded & are better designed both internally & the clutch itself. Don't know about the new, new car's. Will have alook when I get a chance.
    I've just found this thread.
    I'm also a victim of the faulty aircon in the MKV: Lucky it seems to have the problem just before end of warranty so got the VW dealer to look at it on the last warranty service.

Although we took our Golf to VW dealer to fix the aircon, they sub contracted the job out to a 3rd party.

The dealer said that we get 12 months warranty on the replacement - but 9 months later and the aircon is really performing poorly again!

Should I take the car back to the dealer who arranged the sub contractor under VW warranty (note: I'm really unimpressed with that dealer's service), straight to the sub contractor - or can I go to another dealer and get them to look at it and be covered by the 'warranty' on the replacement?

Users Country Flag

Air Con Compressors

Hi all,

You guys with the MK5s are not alone, a lot of us with MK4s and Polos have had the same issue. Mine %^&$ itself over the Christmas break, and I'm just saving the pennies for a new one.

You would think that VW would have worked this issue out by now.
    2010 90TSI Manual / Comfort Pack / United Grey
    RICE - Leave the useless wings to the Penguins...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTA View Post
    I've just found this thread.
    I'm also a victim of the faulty aircon in the MKV: Lucky it seems to have the problem just before end of warranty so got the VW dealer to look at it on the last warranty service.

Although we took our Golf to VW dealer to fix the aircon, they sub contracted the job out to a 3rd party.

The dealer said that we get 12 months warranty on the replacement - but 9 months later and the aircon is really performing poorly again!

Should I take the car back to the dealer who arranged the sub contractor under VW warranty (note: I'm really unimpressed with that dealer's service), straight to the sub contractor - or can I go to another dealer and get them to look at it and be covered by the 'warranty' on the replacement?
    If it is the warranty on the same fault, which was already repaired by one dealer, you will have to take it to the same dealer. Unless it is a new or different fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    If it is the warranty on the same fault, which was already repaired by one dealer, you will have to take it to the same dealer. Unless it is a new or different fault.
    Thanks for the tip. Problem is not as bad as it was (there is some cooling happening now at least) and there is no smell like there was previously so they symptoms are definitely different but it is still a problem with the replacement unit - which is the only part of the car still under warranty.

Unhappy Bummer! Hope mines not the same...

A bit depessing reading this thread.

Ours is a 2007 Mk 5 1.6 comfortline, and the A/C gets used a fair bit.
    Noticed today (wife usually drives the Golf) that even on full cold its blowing warm air. Sh*t I thought, (having had dramas with the A/C on a Subaru Liberty RS turbo a few years back).

Anyway any A/C gurus out there?
    Symtoms are; (when switched on)
    • No cold air...
    • Blower works as requested and
    • RPM goes up a wee bit (as expected), however...
    • There is no loss of power when switching on nor is there any small click or clunk type noise (Like a relay switching and / or the compressor taking up load or "clutching"

I'm no A/C expert but is there a fuse or relay controlling the compressor, that I can check before I assume the worst? Just that it seems like the some of the expected actions are taking place, but that the compressor isn't "switching on". Or maybe like others found the compressor has just sh*t itself!

Also I did notice a month or so ago that it seemed to take a bit more RPM and fan to get the cold air flowing. So maybe a bit of gas loss creeping in?

Pity it went out of warranty 2 months ago! Bummer.
    BTW these replacement jobs have cost how much? (or were they all under warranty?)

Checked all the free manual PDFs from another link on this site, (Russian), but alas no A/C sections there. (of course)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mungus; 04-04-2010 at 08:06 AM.

I just got my MY07 GTI aircond compressor, etc.. replaced under warranty.

I asked the tech how much they will bill VW, he said $2-3,000.

As it is only been 2 months since warranty expired- I would ask the dealer to see if VW will still cover all or a portion of it as it is a design fault.

Hopefully the replaced one in my car is a better design.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast