Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air-cond not very cold

Users Country Flag

Sadly just had my TFSI Jetta in for its first service since I got it 4months ago. Have just been informed it is in fact the Air Compressor that is at fault. Does anyone know what to do if the 2nd statutory warranty has only just run out by 3 weeks? Am I on my own or does the dealer have some responsibility seeing as they did a full vehicle check before they sold it to me?

Same problem with my 08 GT, takes 4-5 minutes to get down to a respectable temp, but it never really gets all that cold. It's good enough for most days, but on a 40 degree day, it can barely keep up.

I only just bought the car though, so I haven't really started looking into it. Keen to see if anyone comes up with a cost effective solution.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddso99 View Post
    Sadly just had my TFSI Jetta in for its first service since I got it 4months ago. Have just been informed it is in fact the Air Compressor that is at fault. Does anyone know what to do if the 2nd statutory warranty has only just run out by 3 weeks? Am I on my own or does the dealer have some responsibility seeing as they did a full vehicle check before they sold it to me?
    I guess it depends on what the law is in your state and how generous the dealer is. I checked with the statutory warranty for mine (since expired) and it does not cover "Refrigerated Air Conditioning". But the extended warranty I purchased does not seem to exclude air cond.

I should also update on mine - it does seem to get reasonably cold when going for a while on hot days. Not super cold though. My mechanic tested it and reported it as cycling down to three degrees at the vent, which apparently is pretty good for a Mk5 (the older cars had better a/c apparently).

As for economical fixes, I'd suggest getting on good terms with an independent VW mechanic who would probably charge less than a dealer and probably treat you better anyway. Also, look to see if any warranty you might have will cover it.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

I had my MY07 a/c fail- compressor replaced under warranty.

Note, if your a/c requires regassing- the a/c system is faulty. It doesn't leak unless it is something is faulty and regassing is only a temp fix.

There are A/C systems 20 years old which work perfectly without any regassing.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

I agree the air cond in my MY07 isn't very cold- my Astra and virtually any Japanese car is much better.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag

I posted a similar complaint in the MK5/Jetta Problem Registry and just saw this.

I have to wait 5 mins before mine kicks in as well. As soon as mine starts going though its really cold. I have a 12/07 Jetta though and hopefully it's not the compressor issue that plagued the previous model.

Has anyone with my problem had it resolved?

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

I found something in the R36 forums about the aircon which some of you may find interesting.

If you turn the system off and then press AC and the front air vent button (arrow pointing towards driver in seat picture) at the same time, the system goes into diagnostic mode. I just tested this on my 07 Jetta and it works. It will start cycling through all it's modes. Whether this fixes anything I don't know. I'll see when driving home tonight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12