Thread: Advice? replacement headunit for mk5 golf gt sport

Advice? replacement headunit for mk5 golf gt sport

Howdy folks
    Keen to change out the factory stereo on my golf to one that supports carplay/apple play, hands free calling, retain steering wheel controls etc.
    I'd be looking for someone to do the work, because i'm a dunce when it comes to these things.
    I've seen this on ebay: Genuine Volkswagen RCD340 Android Auto Carplay Radio for Caddy Golf Jetta Passat | eBay
    Would it work etc ? or should I steer clear?

What else would I need for the installation?

Any recommendations for someone to install (or supply and install)

Advice really welcome please.
    Cheers
    Tim

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by twr View Post
    Howdy folks
    Keen to change out the factory stereo on my golf to one that supports carplay/apple play, hands free calling, retain steering wheel controls etc.
    I'd be looking for someone to do the work, because i'm a dunce when it comes to these things.
    I've seen this on ebay: Genuine Volkswagen RCD340 Android Auto Carplay Radio for Caddy Golf Jetta Passat | eBay
    Would it work etc ? or should I steer clear?

What else would I need for the installation?

Any recommendations for someone to install (or supply and install)

Advice really welcome please.
    Cheers
    Tim
    Hey.

It will work as I have one in my GT Sport.

You will need an updated CAN gateway.

Also you will need a CANBUS adapter, which can be found on AliExpress for cheap.

Once they are in, there’s a tiny bit of coding and you’re away

If you’re in Sydney, I can help you out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I have the RCD330 which is very similar to the RCD340 and it is excellent. Depending on the year of your car, you may not need a CANBUS gateway or steering wheel control adapter. Since mine is 2006, I needed both of these, I was able to get a CANBUS gateway from the wreckers for $20, and the steering wheel adapter was also quite cheap from Aliexpress. I'm in Melbourne and happy to help out (have VCDS for the coding).
    2016 GTI 40 Years | 2012 Up! | 2006 Jetta - Sold

Thank you Mel744 & benough for your feedback. Much appreciated.

AA Auto spares in Boxhill melbourne advise they can provide a Steering wheel control(that comes with Canbus and anti drain) & Antenna adapter for about $60 (if i get the stereo from them too).
    It sounds good to me.- what do you think?

I looked up Ali Express but couldn't get a hit on the steering wheel adapter - and feelbay for CANBUS but it looked like there are different ones. any pointers what I should search for?

Great tip on the coding, didn't know that'd be needed. Thank you and thank you for the offer Mel744, might take you up on it!
    Thanks all, Tim.

Users Country Flag
    That seems like a pretty reasonable deal, if the price for the actual radio is alright. Here is the steering wheel adapter I got for the 330, only required if you have the 8 button steering wheel. RCD330 Multifunction Steering Wheel Button Control Canbus gateway Simulator Adapter For VW Golf 5 6 Jetta MK5 Passat B6 187B 187| | - AliExpress

For the CANBUS gateway you want revision L or higher (the number on the end of the part number, I think mine ended up being Q). I can grab one for you next time I'm at the wreckers if you want. Part number for those are 1K0 907 530 L.

Cheers,
    Michael
    2016 GTI 40 Years | 2012 Up! | 2006 Jetta - Sold

Just to jump in here visit joyingauto.com. I am on my second headunit from here and they work great!
    I had one in my old MK6 R and now in my MK5 Pacific Golf. Literally plug and play and they work really well. The first model i had didn't have the best equalizer functions however this latest model has been much improved and is truly a very good unit.
    Also with my MK5 all the steering wheel controls work out of the box.

See here
    Joying Germany Warehouse 8'' Android 8.1.0 VW Plug And Play Car Navigation System with 4G Module

Highly recommended. I also use a bluetooth ODB connector and Torque which gives me a good idea of sensor data from the ECU. There is an inbuilt app which actually shows remaining fuel in L which i think is a win as well.

Installation is a breeze and the hardest part is removing the plastics without breaking anything. If you're carfeul its 4x screws, main plug and antenna cables to remove the old headunit then you just re plug into the new unit and replace and off you go.
    Also willing to help in Sydney if needed.
    Last edited by epidemic; 03-08-2020 at 04:00 PM.

My daughter (She was 20 at the time ) got an Ersin Android head unit off eBay for a couple of hundred from memory- she followed a YouTube video on how to install it and had her old unit out and new one in and running in a couple of hours.

It looks great steering wheel controls are good but the unit takes ages to turn on and frankly I think it sounds crap but it has Bluetooth so she’s happy - doesn’t cause power drain issues either