Thread: Access to the boot from the rear muffler

Users Country Flag

Access to the boot from the rear muffler

I have a GTI Pirelli and under the spare tyre are a few grommets but I haven't seen a way to get access to the rear muffler through there.

Does anyone know of a way it might be possible without drilling a hole? I need to feed a cable to my valved muffler in the future.

Users Country Flag
    Under those grommets will be a aluminium silver coloured heatshield to stop heat from the muffler/exhaust entering the cabin. If you are lucky you might be able to feed the Varex cabling through the grommet and along the heatshield until it is accessible from under the car for you to hook up to the muffler valve. Get a coat hanger or a piece of wire to try and feed up and grab the wire and pull it through.

If you are unlucky, you will have to drop the exhaust down, and temporarily remove (or loosen at least) the heatshield to allow the cable to be fed through.

I did the exact same thing on my Lexus IS-F with wiring up the Varex cabling, but in my instance I had to temporarily remove the rear mufflers and temporarily remove the heatshields to pass the cabling through. Also, when you can afford it, get the Varex Smartbox. Its great and much better than the normal Varex remote which only allows the valve to be full open or full closed. With the Smartbox, you can have it open anywhere between 1% and 100%. With my Lexus, i used to leave it at 25% open for day to day driving, then had the Smartbox programmed so that if I applied more than 70% throttle or exceeded 4,000rpm it would open the valves 100%.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Under those grommets will be a aluminium silver coloured heatshield to stop heat from the muffler/exhaust entering the cabin. If you are lucky you might be able to feed the Varex cabling through the grommet and along the heatshield until it is accessible from under the car for you to hook up to the muffler valve. Get a coat hanger or a piece of wire to try and feed up and grab the wire and pull it through.

If you are unlucky, you will have to drop the exhaust down, and temporarily remove (or loosen at least) the heatshield to allow the cable to be fed through.

I did the exact same thing on my Lexus IS-F with wiring up the Varex cabling, but in my instance I had to temporarily remove the rear mufflers and temporarily remove the heatshields to pass the cabling through. Also, when you can afford it, get the Varex Smartbox. Its great and much better than the normal Varex remote which only allows the valve to be full open or full closed. With the Smartbox, you can have it open anywhere between 1% and 100%. With my Lexus, i used to leave it at 25% open for day to day driving, then had the Smartbox programmed so that if I applied more than 70% throttle or exceeded 4,000rpm it would open the valves 100%.
    Fantastic to hear! it will be a custom system so once installed I can get the muffler shop to feed it through for me. Very lucky I also have a 12v socket in the boot so it will look very neat and tidy.