Thread: ABS Brake Module

Users Country Flag

Question ABS Brake Module

ABS Brake Module, I am new to this forum, so hope I am 'Posting' in the right spot...
    I have a Mk V diesel Golf, it has been a great car, done 210,000 km. However, the ABS warning light recently activated. VW tech confirmed ABS control unit needs replacing, also diagnostic unit indicated faulty trailer module. I have since found out the trailer module has a connection to the ABS module. Could it be the tow module is causing ABS to fail? Has anyone had any experience on this, (have checked trailer module recently which has completely failed) I believe the trailer module would be less expensive to replace than ABS module.

Users Country Flag
    ABS has coding for trailer. Remove trailer module and remove coding for trailer in gateway, ABS and PDC. Clear faults in ABS. Check if it returns.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thankyou Kamold, makes sense, however cannot really understand why dealer did not do this? I was an 'old school' Telstra tech, feel with these vehicles dealers tell only half the story maybe! Anyway will give the dealer a call tomorrow, thanks again for the information, this is an interesting forum. Will keep you posted on any result.

Users Country Flag
    Dealers use the dealer tool. It's a follow the bouncing ball operation.
    If ODIS says replace the module that's what they will recommend.
    It's a great tool but like any has its limitations also.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Replaced ABS module mid December after finding one at the wreckers, fitted, it cost about a quarter of buying a new one and waiting about 6 weeks through a dealer. I am safely back on the road. However mechanic was not sure about trailer module, it is still unplugged. Was assured by Volkswagon ABS module would effect operation of Trailer module, however Trailer module could not effect ABS module. Bit of a dilemma, plugging Trailer module back in, are they 'Plug and Play', or do they need to be 'programed' as the mechanic who replaced the ABS module suggested? Hmmm!