Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 60K service and costs

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by anglo_dude View Post
    I thought the cambelt was 100,000kms regardless of years? I checked with German Autos and they confirmed that (or I guess 7 years/105,000kms).

Anglo
    Thanks for that. German Auto are good people. I will monitor the belt and any other things that might need replacing due to age rather than kms.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

Quote Originally Posted by greasykitchen View Post
    Hi,

I'm considering buying a 2005 2.0 FSI manual Golf that would be coming up for it's 60K service before too long. I've heard that this is a big one, so a couple of questions before I commit to buy:

1. How much would such a service cost at an independent VW mechanic (in Adelaide if that's any help)?

2. What is it about the 60K that makes it so big?

Thanks

I've got a 2005 FSi with 50,000 km's on it and I'm being quoted $2,200 in Sydney with Dealers for a major service to replace he timing belt and water pump (apparently the water pump is usually done at the same time). I'm still being quoted $1,600 by non dealers.

If anyone has another option I'd be interested to hear.

South Yarra VW are having a 20% off promotion on log book services for cars over 3 years of age.

I've just booked in my GTI DSG for the 60k service, which is the major service (ex-timing belt) and DSG service.

Normally $1,250, so, $1,000 with the 20% off.

So not as bad as I expected.

I've heard of some dealers recommending the timing belt change also at 60k. Actually the used car sales guy at South Yarra asked me the same when I got the car valued as a trade in.. but I can't see why I should change the timing belt earlier than the log book recommends. Any thoughts on this?
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Depends on Age, -they all ask this before 100k and i always say 105 or 120,000km per VW's confusing direction.They have been benchtested before production at min 180k i believe. Dont quote me though, i will however be doing mine at 105,000 km. Think its an upsell take, before 105k personally
    Current:12 Golf GTD, Mods on order -Bluefin Remap, Mods planned-plenty
    Former:08 GT Sport TDI DSG Bluefin, HPA SHS Coilovers,H&R Swaybars with Whiteline Adj Links

Users Country Flag
    We have just had a 60,000km service done in Hobart, by the dealer, in late September. It cost just on $1100.00 and did not include the timeing belt. The dealer told me that the belt is done at 105,000km so as to split up the cost a little from the major 60,000km service intervals. And yes it is a DSG.

don't forget brakes at 60k or 75k depending
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
    don't forget brakes at 60k or 75k depending
    Surely brakes would be replaced only when needed and this would depend on driving style etc?
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

Just had 90k service, specifically asked them to check the brake pads, all ok, just needed bleeding and new fluids,i do mainly hwy kms so yes definately driving style related.
    Current:12 Golf GTD, Mods on order -Bluefin Remap, Mods planned-plenty
    Former:08 GT Sport TDI DSG Bluefin, HPA SHS Coilovers,H&R Swaybars with Whiteline Adj Links

When I purchased the car at 90k I asked the previous owner if he had changed the brakes, he was quite confident in saying the brakes had not been changed. I also asked the dealer where he had previously had it serviced who said they had never changed them. I am now at 127k and still haven't replaced the brakes! surely some sort of record for a VAG car.
    MKV GTI

Users Country Flag

just dropped off my GT Sport TDI 3.5yrs old for its 60,000km service at a VW service dealer and was quoted $960+$499 (normal 60k service + DSG service)...

sounds a touch on the high side?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast