Support VWWC

Thread: 3.6L -> Manual R32 - Anyone done this in Aus?

3.6L -> Manual R32 - Anyone done this in Aus?

Unfortunately had to part with my 3 door manual R32 with recaros, so now looking to make the most of the situation and replace it with something a little better.

I've been piecing parts together (Recaros etc) to make my 'ultimate mk5'. I've come across what might be a good shell and gearbox, so considering sourcing an R36 engine

I realise this could be a very uneconomical swap, so rather than blazing a trail - Has anyone in Aus done this before? Especially using the existing R32 manual box - Having owned an R36 I'm not interested in a full swap with DSG, nor am I interested in turbocharging/supercharging an R32.

Otherwise - I've been led to believe the 3.6 is actually lighter than the 3.2, but I'm struggling to find official specs??

Users Country Flag
    i'll . be doing this soon - i have all the parts. just need to get there in my "timeline of projects" lol

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IanPGonzaga View Post
    i'll . be doing this soon - i have all the parts. just need to get there in my "timeline of projects" lol
    I've just finished going the other way… Manual to DSG.
    3.6L -> Manual R32 - Anyone done this in Aus?-1-png
    1 — ImgBB

The reason for this is because the clutch we've installed to accomodate the extra power of the turbo install is so strong, it's grip has no give at all…
    3.6L -> Manual R32 - Anyone done this in Aus?-2-png
    2 — ImgBB

Consequently, I've gone through 3 transfer cases because the the axle to the Haldex would slightly torque twist if I didn't time the clutch properly… (there was only 1" travel under my foot from fully engaged to fully disengaged).
    The torque twist would pop the transfer case seal and slowly weep which in time, would heat up the transfer case… (you could hear it).

So I bought a "T-boned" R32 from Sydney via Pickles Auctions which was mechanically sound for the transplant.
    ABS, ECU, partial loom, wheel hubs, box, console are the main items moved over.

Here's the box and transfer case in the background removed.
    3.6L -> Manual R32 - Anyone done this in Aus?-4-png
    4 — ImgBB
    Here's the new/strong clutch for the DSG arriving in it's fancy case…
    3.6L -> Manual R32 - Anyone done this in Aus?-3-png
    3 — ImgBB

We couldn't re-tune the manual ECU to be DSG aware… turns out that 2007 models used different ECUs! (not the case now).
    Here's a pic of her being re-tuned last week.
    3.6L -> Manual R32 - Anyone done this in Aus?-r32-t-man-dsg-tuning-png
    R32-T-Man-to-DSG-Tuning — ImgBB

Reflection:
    Increasing power to 600HP at the wheels with a Manual box is something I would not advise to embark on for a daily drive.
    Don't get me wrong… rolling starts and any gear onwards the acceleration is exhilarating!
    You just have to be very careful with Neutral to 1st if you engineer to avoid slipping of the clutch after 6 months.
    If it were a track car, I'd never do the transplant.

Cheers,
    Last edited by N V; 12-08-2020 at 01:29 PM.

Users Country Flag
    ohhhh very nice! So what box are you using? The mk5 manual box?

I ended up going down a different route and did an Audi TT 3.6 conversion instead lol

Login • Instagram @auditt3.6

3 part series build 2.0L (BWA mk5 GTI engine) > 3.6 R36
    Audi TT 8J Mk2 - 3.6 Project Part 1/3 - Front Bar and Radiator Panel Removal (2.0 BWA) - YouTube
    Audi TT 8J Mk2 - 3.6 Project Part 2/3 - Preparing for 2.0 TFSI engine removal - YouTube
    Audi TT 8J Mk2 - 3.6 Project Part 3/3 - 3.6L R36 VR6 Engine Swap - YouTube

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IanPGonzaga View Post
    ohhhh very nice! So what box are you using? The mk5 manual box?
    ah… I went manual to DSG from a donor R32…

that's a nice very job on the TT too!
    Last edited by N V; 13-08-2020 at 12:50 PM.