Thread: 2008 GT Sport - good idea or not?

Users Country Flag

2008 GT Sport - good idea or not?

Hey guys. I’m looking to replace my 1998 Seat Cupra GTI with a 2008 Golf (mk5) GT Sport. It’s the 1.4L TSI turbo/supercharged model.
    I haven’t viewed it yet, but it looks clean and well cared for. The current owner has had it a couple of years and has had it serviced twice in that time. They’ve found the original log book, which I will look over. It has about 124k on the clock and the timing chain was done at 86k. From my research it seems this engine is prone to timing chain issues and the dodgy tensioner problem from this period.
    Apparently no engine fault lights displayed.
    If the service record checks out and it looks well looked after, is this model with 124k on the clock a reasonable candidate for trouble free motoring, or is it at the age where big and expensive failures are bound to occur (turbo/supercharger issues, for example)? Private sale so no warranty.
    Asking price is $8 900. That’s going to be higher than the Red Book, but used cars tend to go for more in Tasmania and prices have jacked as a result of restricted new car supply at the moment.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Only dramas I have fixed at work on these is the waterpump/charger pulley really. One had a stretched chain.

Not sure I would have one personally but I don't feel they are inherently bad cars.

I'd put some rainy day money aside just in case. The rest of the mechanicals are like other MK5s so easy to get and not hard to fit.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Only dramas I have fixed at work on these is the waterpump/charger pulley really. One had a stretched chain.

Not sure I would have one personally but I don't feel they are inherently bad cars.

I'd put some rainy day money aside just in case. The rest of the mechanicals are like other MK5s so easy to get and not hard to fit.
    Thank you. That's reassuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give you some feedback after work, I own one

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankovic View Post
    I'll give you some feedback after work, I own one
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that a lot of the electrics on the car seem to be going on me over the last few years. I'm currently at 130k kms and just swapped out the Canbus module as it failed, so I haven't been able to drive for the past month as the car wouldn't start.

If you are keen on buying the car have a look in the footwells for water in the carpet and also stick your finger in the drain near the driver side and passenger side wheel arches. These are a crap design that fill up with debris. They block up and the water from the sun roof/front drain ends up making it's away down the fire wall into the footwells. If the drains are full there is a good chance the water would of made its way in the car at some point.

The AC compressor/solenoid for the AC are temperamental as well mine just recently went and is at the mechanics now being diagnosed. Compressor will cost 1k to replace.

It's a fun car to drive but I feel at this age they start to fall apart. The roof lining and door trims in my car all fell off as the foam used deteriorates over time, I'm sort of biting my time until it fully clonks.

In regards to the above if the timing chain goes you generally get the pump etc done so you should see if that's log booked.

Parts replaced since I bought;
    - timing chain housing replacement (plus water pump)
    - many many many coil packs
    - rear window motor
    - indicator switch
    - 1 million left head light bulbs (constantly blowing)
    - head lining
    - sunroof drain pipes
    - Canbus module

After the timing chain I've just bought parts myself and replaced as I didn't want to put more money into the car.

I found it doesn't matter how well looked after the car is, the parts just fail.

My brothers mk5 reverse light stopped working. He took it to the auto electrician and found out the insulation on the cables was crumbling. This is apparently pretty common on the golf and is very expensive to replace. He got ride of the car after that

I personally wouldn't buy another for 7k. Have you thought about pickles or grays online auctions? I've seen 2015 models going for less

Users Country Flag

I think it's pretty good and here's the current 2008 GT Sport price
    There are just three variants in the Peugeot 2008 lineup for 2021: the standard Allure ($34,990 before on-road expenses), the freshly released GT ($38,990 before on-road costs), and the GT Sport ($43,990 before on-road costs).

A panoramic sunroof ($1990) and the iridescent paint ($1050) were also included on our test vehicle, bringing the total price to $47,030 before on-road fees.