Thread: 2008 Gold TDI Air conditioner

2008 Gold TDI Air conditioner

Hi all
    I'd appreciate advice/comment on an air conditioning problem I have.
    My 2008 Pacific TDI 2.0 has 160 K km on the clock. My air con seemed to be performing poorly. My mechanic, a good German fellow told me the pressure was down to about 11 bar, and that the compressor was worn out. Total repair cost, supply/install, gas about $1200.
    It just does not suit me to pay out that kind of money. Are there any work-arounds or options?

Thanks
    Geoff

Users Country Flag

Hi Geoff,

Unfortunately, if it is your compressor that's let go (a common issue mind) there is nothing that can be done as a "work around". I mean you always have the Jeremy Clarkson option of running water over yourself whilst having a fan blow air onto you (Top Gear Season 9 Episode 3 - USA Special by chroniclesofclassics - Car Videos on StreetFire) but other than that. It's the $1200 bill I'm afraid.

You can always try and find second hand parts (going to a wrecker or eBay) and use them instead of a new compressor, then you'd only be up for fitting and a re-gas but second hand compressors are just a nightmare in my experience and almost always let go within a very short time after installation.

Regards,
    Tom