Thread: 2.0FSI BVY Engine Info, Cam follower?

Users Country Flag

2.0FSI BVY Engine Info, Cam follower?

Just picked up a MY07 Jetta with the 2.0FSI engine and 6spd manual. I was looking for some info on maintenance and DIY since I couldn't find much on the BVY engine.

Does the BVY engine suffer the same cam follower issues as the turbo engines? The HPFP seems to be tucked away a bit more, any advice on getting to it to check? Has anyone else with this engine had issues or checked theirs?

Are there any other common problems I should look into?

Car runs fine but seems to have a stuck thermostat (sits around 75deg only reaching 90deg on big climbs) and a decent diff or gearbox whine only noticeable around 70kph. Any advice on changing the thermostat? I am about to purchase the haynes manual for the golfs and jettas of this era but if theres another better option I'll go for that.

Cheers!

Users Country Flag
    Refer this thread which is pretty much the same question you are asking. It is suggested that the fuel system is basically identical between the non turbo and turbo versions of the 2.0FSI engine. So, assuming that information is correct, then yes you may wish to look at replacing (or at the very least inspecting) the cam follower as part of your maintenance.

BVY vs. BPY Engines

If you want a good DIY on how to access the cam follower, i made a DIY years ago when I had my Mk6 Golf R which you could reference. Autotech HPFP Upgrade full DIY guide with pics
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Refer this thread which is pretty much the same question you are asking. It is suggested that the fuel system is basically identical between the non turbo and turbo versions of the 2.0FSI engine. So, assuming that information is correct, then yes you may wish to look at replacing (or at the very least inspecting) the cam follower as part of your maintenance.

BVY vs. BPY Engines

If you want a good DIY on how to access the cam follower, i made a DIY years ago when I had my Mk6 Golf R which you could reference. Autotech HPFP Upgrade full DIY guide with pics
    Cheers Lucas much appreciated. The issue is that the fuel pump is a bit more out of the way on this and I don't want to start removing heaps of things without knowing how much of a job I'm getting myself into. I might just go and order the Haynes manual, hopefully it will give me a bit of an idea.

Users Country Flag
    I bought the Haynes manual to have a look at this exact same thing - there is no mention of it. I've never actually taken the HPFP off on my BVY, however according to the VW manuals you need to remove the intake manifold, which in itself isn't too bad. The main problem is replacing the special hose clamps on the back of the manifold. You need special pliers to put them on (you can do it with normal tools but trust me it's not worth the trouble).

According to the VW manuals you need to remove the hard piping for the high pressure fuel pump, but not sure how true that is. See attached screenshot for reference and torque specs. (Note you will need to also change the o-rings and bolts, not sure if they are the same as the 2.0T kits).

2.0FSI BVY Engine Info, Cam follower?-image-1-jpg
    2016 GTI 40 Years | 2012 Up! | 2006 Jetta - Sold

Users Country Flag
    Also with regards to the thermostat, that also went bad on my car. Changed with an OEM one (wasn't that expensive so thought might as well). Thermostat replacement is easiest with the intake manifold off but can apparently be done by removing the alternator (I tried it and couldn't get it off that way), so could be smart to do it the same time as the cam follower. Torque spec on the thermostat bolts are 15nm. I also have a manual and have the gearbox/diff whine at around 70kph, never checked more into it in the 4 years I've had that car and haven't had issues. Also you may experience rough running when cold for around the first 40 seconds, believed to be due to carbon build up on intake valves but not confirmed (haven't cleaned them yet). Haven't really had many other issues except for a coil pack failing and the occasional random EGR related CEL which I just clear and it doesn't come back for 6 months and of course the usual MK5 interior issues.
    Last edited by MEL744; 04-11-2020 at 05:23 PM.
    2016 GTI 40 Years | 2012 Up! | 2006 Jetta - Sold

Users Country Flag
    Didn't see it mentioned, but also look at the cam chain upper guide. Seen a few of these fail and smash the valvetrain to bits.

Users Country Flag
    Fuel pump is harder to get to than the turbo model, the intake manifold needs to be removed, same for the thermostat, which is why I have not done either on mine.
    When I had the turbo model I did the cam follower, at 100,000km it was not very worn at all. I doubt it needed to be replaced but I had the part ready. I assumed it was the same part for the non turbo and I have one ready for that one day.
    My thermostat is busted too, takes a long time to get to 90 if at all, been like that for years and probably will stay that way for a few more. Perhaps I will have them done with the next timing belt change in July 2022.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Guys thanks heaps for all of the info, it's really helped put my mind at ease especially regarding thermostat and the gbox/diff whine. Maybe I will leave the thermostat for now and see if it gets worse.

One final thing I guess I could ask is that under hard acceleration at highway speeds I have noticed a kind of shimmy/oscillation and some black/grey smoke which I'm not concerned about. This shimmy is slower and much less severe than unbalanced wheels, kind of a backwards/forwards motion in the whole car. It kind of feels as if it is a fuel pump issue but the smoke tells me otherwise. Not very concerned but would be interesting if anyone else has noticed it.

PS This is my first VW so I have just discovered this online version of elsawin if it's of any help to anyone else: Elsa online. ElsaWin. ElsaWeb