Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 FSI Poor idle when cold

Users Country Flag

Do you get stratified mode when you cruise along at part throttle, if you log your AFRs? Or just at idle?
    No at all. OEM NoX sensor was busted the time i bought the car. It sometimes reported plausible signal so engine rarely switched on stratified but sensor was already giving his goodbyes.

I gave chance to sensors from China (DIY, cut cables, solder, heatshrink) but it turned out to be a mistake. One sensor came with broken heater another one was giving totally wrong data etc.

You can look at pictures here (posts from Maro )
    https://bit.ly/3fmoXDB

Right now i have this chinese sensor screwed in exhaust, 2 CANbus cables cutted and rerouted under passenger's footwell. 2 cables from NOX ECU 2 cables to MED ECU at your fingertips. MITM with Arduino is much easier this way. Power cables are left untouched in order to pass NoX sensor heater checks.
    I'm able to generate canbus frames and see corresponding NoX sensor voltages (O2 part) and NoX concentrations.
    I always end up with
    17441 - Sensor for NOx (G295)
    P1033 - 002 - Signal too Low
    So i guess i send signal with incorrect range (lower, upper threshold) or signal needs to reflect real drive conditions (plausibility check is not passing).

I am not keen on solving this with "emulator" approach. Reflashing ECU with "cured" firmware is much better then hiding arduino behind passenger's compartment
    At worst, sacrificing stratified mode is also acceptable. For 2.0 engine with 4x4 8 liters / 100 km (29,4 US mpg) is not bad at all.
    Last edited by maro; 27-05-2021 at 07:07 AM.

An update - I've been working with Maro offline as I have had some trouble posting replies on this forum.

I have managed to get stratified mode working at low load driving without NOx sensor, cats or EGR.

Seems to work okay, the odd misfire but will report fuel economy difference after this tank is empty.

Gday, have the exact same model mk5, ran around in circles for ages chasing this issue and in my case jade zero faults on vcds. Ended up cleaning the dreaded intake valves and the issue disappeared completely.

This is very neat.

Is the Arduino code available?

Update:

Maro and I have been doing a ton of work on this the last 6 months - he has now disabled his NOx system completely as I did through editing the ECU ROM. I have reverted to homogenous only as I was having too many misfires (probably my intake valves are a mess).

There's a few fields you need to do to turn off NOx and have the car run stratified.

1. set CWSKR to 0 (This kills NOx diagnostics from stopping stratified mode)
    2. set most of the middle bits off on CWNLKO (check FR compared to your bin)

Also - to turn off that rough as hell cold start catalyst heating you can set TKHMX to 0.

For anyone reading this with 1.6FSI I have made a pretty massive definitions file here:

Golf 5 1.6 FSI - basic map for 03C997056M
    Last edited by drbluetongue; 22-12-2021 at 11:49 AM.

That is great work - now I need to learn how to read and write the map - any pointers on where I can find out how todo it /what I need?

Yes, I currently use a Kess v2 clone from AliExpress. It works awesome, does the checksums for you and writes changes in about 15 minutes - Maro had issues with the 2.0 FSI with MPPS v16 (a cheaper option) so recommend Kess v2 for sure.

Sweet thanks for that - looks like I'm off to spend more money

Well its been a long time since I updated this saga of the BLX engine

As it turned out not long after I was last here sydney had a deluge of rain and while my daughter didnt get flooded out - she did make a trip to the shops which involved driving through a bit of water over the road. The Golf sucked in a mouthful of water and stopped. That wasnt so bad until the NRMA monkey turned up and pulled the plugs and turned the car over for a bit then re fitted the plugs and proceeded to start the car. At which point it sucked more water out of the manifold straight into the engine and it went bang. That was the end of that.

DONT LET THE NRMA EVER TOUCH YOUR CAR.

So I have had the Golf sitting in my backyard for long enough so it is now time to move it on Just waiting for the wreckers to give me a price for it..

Users Country Flag

Can I grab a part off it ?
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast