Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19's on MK5?

Users Country Flag

19's on MK5?

Hi all,

Firstly I have done a search for this but have come out scratching my head somewhat. I’m wanting to know if I am able to legally (in the eyes of the law and insurance) fit 19x8.5 on my 2009 Jetta.

Currently the vehicle has 205/55/16, and from reading the posts on here and elsewhere, there is mixed opinions about load rating, and if the load rating for 19s will be sufficient. Can anyone shed some light with definitive information? If there is any concern about legality, I’ll stick with 18s, however I’d love to fit the 19s on if the option is there (and insurance won’t knock back a claim in the event of an accident)

Cheers all.

Users Country Flag
    Given teh Mk5 could be ordered with factory 18" wheels then i don't see any reason why 19" weel would not be able to be fitted so long as they comply with the width/offset to remain legal.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    That's my question - do 19 x 8.5 comply? I didn't know Jetta's came out with 18" wheels?

thanks

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DWBN View Post
    That's my question - do 19 x 8.5 comply? I didn't know Jetta's came out with 18" wheels?

thanks
    It will depend on the offset.
    Best bet is to use the wheel offset calculators online to work out what size and offset you can go without poking out of the bodywork and remaining legal.

The Charleston wheels were available in 18 x 7.5 ET51

Taken from the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia, it does state that:

4.2.4 Overall Nominal Diameter
    The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to a passenger car or passenger car derivative must not be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model.

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro..._2011%20v3.pdf

If the Jetta came with optional 18"s, then this will be ok as the new rolling diameter (215/35/19) will be within the 15mm tolerance, however, if I have to base the calculations on the 16" wheels on the car now, it does not comply. From my reading, the Jetta was released with 18 x 7.5 (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/a5/buyg/tdicup.png)

Load rating:

4.2.12 Load Rating and Speed Rating
    Every passenger car manufactured after 1972 (ADR 24 now superseded by ADR 42/04) is fitted with a tyre placard that contains information on original and optional tyres and rims for that vehicle model.

A light motor vehicle (under 4.5 tonne GVM) which is required to comply with ADR 24/... or ADR 42/04 may be equipped with tyres other than those listed on the tyre placard provided that:
    the load rating of the tyres is not less than the lowest load rating listed on the tyre placard of the vehicle
    or equivalent variant of that model vehicle;
    I'm not sure what the load rating for 19s would be? I assume they would have to be read from a tyre placard of a Jetta with factory Charleston wheels?

Offset will be ok +45, so should be nice and flush with the guards.

cheers

the largest optioned wheel on a mk5 was a 18x8et53 with a 225/40 or something (karthoums or however its spelt)

So in VIC for example, a 8.5 is fine (.5" wider is acceptable), and 19" (1" bigger is acceptable)
    So to match the rolling diameter you want a 225/35, problem with these are the load rating is too low, (88 usually), where as a 235/35 will often have a load rating of 91 which meets factory specs most of the time.
    Other thing to check is if the offset of the new wheels increases the track past legal requirements

I had 19's on my old GTI and as suggested above, the hardest part was getting the load rating to comply for legal reasons. I had 19x8 et 42 with a 235/35 91Y Toyo Proxes R1

I think the pics are in the MK5 photography section for reference
    MKV GTI - sold
    Renault Clio IV RS200 Cup Trophy - sold
    Volvo V60 (P* Performance pack)

Is anyone able to verify what the tyre placard states as the load rating from a MK5 Jetta for both 18 and 19" wheels?

Bump it up, my tyre placard only goes to 18" wheels, where it recommends 92Y as the load rating. Info for 19" on a jetta mk5 would be good if someone has it?

cheers.

From what I understand it will be fine as long as you stick to 235 wide tyres to get the correct load rating. Keep in mind you would want to be running stock height with tyres this wide otherwise you'll get rubbing. This was my reason to stick to the 18's as I'm running lower than standard.
    2007 Black Magic VW Golf GT TDi, Latte Leather, Sunroof, Bluefin Superchip, 18" Detroits, APR lower torque arm insert, APR Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake system, GTi sideskirts & front lip, R32 Rear Bar, GTi Steering wheel, RNS-510,Infinity BassLink Subwoofer,stubby antenna, R8 Oil Cap, Golf R front calipers, slotted front rotors, ceramic brake pads, LITEC LED tail-lights, Dension Gateway Five, Rear Emblem Reverse Camera, H&R Ultralow coil-overs, Badge-less front grille

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast