Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15,000km Service Cost from Each Dealer Outlined

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Did you even bother to look at that link? It's a German listing and not comparable to Australian prices. 20 litres of that oil is over $300 from the distributors in Australia. Ask the German guy how much for shipping to Australia.
    Obviously you're much better at making assumptions then you are at reading, just under the buy it now price on the ebay link you would see the words postage if you press details it even gives you the cost of the delivery to Australia:

Postage and handling:

EUR 17.00
    Extra items EUR 1.80
    Delivery: Australia

Why would it not be comparable to Australia? do you think the oil is made here? and that vw/ or the distributor doesn't import it from overseas? I only used that ebay link as an example to show you that the oil is accessible to the general public and is not as sacred as what you are making it out to be.

There is a markup on parts and this includes oils as well, they don't sell you anything at cost. I guess all the equipment in the workshop is free? The training that the staff go on don't cost anything and free replacement staff are provided during the training?
    Excuse my ignorance but is that not what the hourly labour rate is suppose to cover?? I mean its not like that mechanic at vw is getting paid the $150/hour into his own pocket, things like training and tools, over heads etc are all apart of that hourly rate. Mark up on parts is just a revenue raising exercise.

If you don't like the price of the servicing you should have done your research beforehand and picked up a toyota corolla instead.
    Yes there we are again with the assumptions, the Gti is actually the 3rd VAG car ive owned not that its really relevant or any of your business.

The point i was getting across is people should actually be aware of what work is done at each minor service and how much "mark up" is being put on a simple oil change and check of everything. It would be ignorant for you to pay top dollar just because its a dealer and they "know best"..
    MKV GTI

Quote Originally Posted by jessv3 View Post
    Obviously you're much better at making assumptions then you are at reading, just under the buy it now price on the ebay link you would see the words postage if you press details it even gives you the cost of the delivery to Australia:

Postage and handling:

EUR 17.00
    Extra items EUR 1.80
    Delivery: Australia
    He's not going to be able to send it to Australia for that price, ask him for a quote and see what he comes back with.

How do you know if it's old stock or counterfeit? Are you willing to risk your warranty to save a few dollars on oil purchased on ebay?

Why would it not be comparable to Australia? do you think the oil is made here? and that vw/ or the distributor doesn't import it from overseas? I only used that ebay link as an example to show you that the oil is accessible to the general public and is not as sacred as what you are making it out to be.
    Whoopie. The GTI is AUD $24,000 in the USA but you can't buy one at that price in Australia and there is no point in comparing that price to the price in Australia.

The oil is only available in Australia via distributors in 20+ litre drums. It's not available off the shelf in 5l containers so your link to a German ebay listing is really pointless, what matters is what price you can buy it for in Australia.

Excuse my ignorance but is that not what the hourly labour rate is suppose to cover?? I mean its not like that mechanic at vw is getting paid the $150/hour into his own pocket, things like training and tools, over heads etc are all apart of that hourly rate.
    And what do you think the hourly rate does cover? Didn't I just go over that? You're making an assumption that the whole service can be performed in under an hour which it can't if it's done properly.

Mark up on parts is just a revenue raising exercise.
    What do you think dealers are in business to do? Do you expect dealers to sell parts at their cost price?

Yes there we are again with the assumptions, the Gti is actually the 3rd VAG car ive owned not that its really relevant or any of your business.

The point i was getting across is people should actually be aware of what work is done at each minor service and how much "mark up" is being put on a simple oil change and check of everything. It would be ignorant for you to pay top dollar just because its a dealer and they "know best"..
    As I pointed out I can get an oil change from my dealer for ~$155. The 1 year / 15k service is however a lot more than an oil change.

If you don't see the value in the dealer servicing by all means take it elsewhere and don't assume that people are stupid just because they are willing to pay a small premium to use their dealer.

Please keep to original topic. 15,000km Service Cost from Each Dealer Outlined

Bazzle
    Prev 2008 R32 3 door DSG.
    Prev 2010 S3 Sportback Stronic.
    Now Lexus IS350 F Sport

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12